Thread: CoCoCo - The Comfortable Couch Company?????

JL70115 Guest

Default CoCoCo - The Comfortable Couch Company?????

I'm curious if anyone has experience with or comment on this company. http://cococohome.com/

They check many boxes for quality furniture; made in NC, appears to be good quality frame and construction techniques, made to order, good fabric and leather selection, etc. They use Leggett and Platt "Soft Luxe" pocket coils in the frame base, which concerns me a little relative to eight way hand tied construction. The cushions are a combination of foams, dacron and feather. More info can be found here http://cococohome.com/faqs/

The pricing is very attractive and it seems like a much better product than what I'd find at a big box; RH, PB, C&B, etc. I want something that will hold up well to daily use and I will pay for quality, but I don't want to pay for something that will last a lifetime when I realistically will probably look to replace, or relegate to a secondary location, in 10 to 15 years.

For additional reference I'm looking for two sofas, one a queen sleeper. I've found a few pieces from Lee that I like a lot, but the CoCoCo products are at least $1,000 less per piece. I also like them because they offer three depths up to 46" and I'm looking for a deeper couch since I'm tall, and that's surprisingly hard to find.

Thanks for your time to read this.

Default Re: CoCoCo - The Comfortable Couch Company?????

I don't know the company, never seen their product, but I did watch the video. They are very good at marketing, its slick...but at the end of the day I see a plywood based frame (not 'hardwood' as they say in the FAQ which implies solid maples and ash), a drop-in spring grid, they outsource frames and there are several areas where they use nail trim to visually close a stitch where a welt trim close is appropriate. The corners on the upholstery are fairly typical for what I would expect to see in an inexpensive product. It really depends on price point and how you want it to perform over time. It's a long ways from 'heirloom quality' they use in their FAQ page, but it doesn't mean its necessarily a poor quality build. I don't know the pricing but looking at the way they build it I would guess that sofas are $ 1,000 to $ 1,600 apiece.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

JL70115 Guest

drcollie - Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. The price point seems good but not great. For comparison an 87" chaise sectional is $3,150. A comparable Lee at a local shop is $4,700. I'm fine with the higher price, but...

1) I have an 11 year old Pottery Barn/Mitchell Gold sofa I purchased just after college. It has held up very well in all respects so I have a direct experience with a product that isn't the preferred construction and quality, but I've been happy with it given the price. 2) I really like the option of getting a 42" or 46" depth.

In a somewhat related issue, I've been told by a few sales people selling eight way hand tied products that a sleeper isn't going to sit noticeably differently than the regular sofa. That seems a little odd if the eight way hand tied base system is providing much of the comfort and support. One person said "the sleeper will be a little firmer". Since I've heard more or less the same thing from every sales person it makes me question the merits of eight way hand tied construction. Thoughts?

n a somewhat related issue, I've been told by a few sales people selling eight way hand tied products that a sleeper isn't going to sit noticeably differently than the regular sofa. That seems a little odd if the eight way hand tied base system is providing much of the comfort and support. One person said "the sleeper will be a little firmer". Since I've heard more or less the same thing from every sales person it makes me question the merits of eight way hand tied construction. Thoughts?

There are so many clueless idiots selling furniture....I swear....!

When you sit on a sleeper sofa, you are sitting on the bed frame that is folded up into the sofa. It's just a seat cushion on a cotton webbed, metal frame. Not even close to a proper 8-way hand tied deck. That's why I think sleepers should only be purchased if they are going to be used frequently and regularly, you're giving up a lot in sitting comfort and a sleeper is no more than an upholstered box frame surrounding a articulating metal bed mechanism. End result - not a very good bed and not a very good sofa. For most people buying a real sofa is better and you can supplement extra sleeping needs with an air mattress.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

JL70115 Guest

That makes total sense, and is what I suspected. I'm to check out the product this weekend and will definitely have a better idea if the tradeoffs are worth the savings. Many thanks for your help and advice.

Hi there, we currently have a Hancock & Moore Chesterfield style couch, and we would like to get a similar style with a higher back as our room has 10' ceilings.See picture attached. Unfortunately Hancock and Moore is very weak on Chesterfield sofas these days
    It is 89" wide, and has a seat depth of 24" when we do not sit on it. Because of the deep 2" plus tufts I am sure it is more when we actually sit on it, but we like that we can sit on it with our legs down.
    The height is only 28", so is very low, and we would like a higher back
    I think a width of 91" to 96" would be good. We also might want to get 2 of them or 1 sofa and two chairs opposite of it. A seat depth around 24-25" is what we want, and something with a high back 35" - 40" would be good.

We want the seat, and the arms to be tufted as well. We also want the back and sides to be a bit angled, not straight up
    Ideally, we want to work with someone where we can choose one of the Moore and Giles Mont Blanc leather or a hand stained finish in something bold. Maybe a dark turqoise or something like that, I would even love it if it had a contrast trim.

Your post has been edited. New members are not allowed to post links promoting companies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210123_210118825.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	13631  
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-25-2021 at 01:53 AM.

I there, I have no interest in promoting companies, I am just interested in a Chesterfield.
    Any help is appreciated . Is it ok to upload pictures?

99% of new posters that link to companies with glowing praise are spammers, I usually ban two to three per day. Because I was on the fence on your post, I edited it rather than a total ban. After you have established yourself as a viable member and not a spammer then you can link to outside sources. Photos are fine.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-25-2021 at 01:53 PM.

I read your post three times and didn't actually see a question. What are you asking for help with?

P.S. next time just post a new thread with your own topic instead of replying to someone else's 5 year old post that is unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    I read your post three times and didn't actually see a question. What are you asking for help with?

P.S. next time just post a new thread with your own topic instead of replying to someone else's 5 year old post that is unrelated.
    Understandable. My post was modified by a moderator because I provided links to Chesterfield I liked, and a video of the new factory of cococo. I think the question got deleted as well.
    I posted here, because I found the post googling for the quality of Cococo chesterfields. Originally, Duane said he had never heard of them. It seems like the just came on the mal 7 or so years ago.
    And according to a youtube video they are growing. So I was curious if anyone hear had hear of them now, 5 years later.
    I did not know I was not allowed to post links. Sorry about that. Won't do it again.

My questions are:
    1. Does Cococo produce quality Chesterfields or are they inferior in your opinion?
    2. Does of Iron and Oak chesterfields come from the Cococo factory?
    3. Does anyone have recommendations for quality chesterfields with tufted backs, tufted arms, and tufted bench that have a higher back?

So far, I have found Hancock & Moore (have one but all their new stuff is not what I need. , Saxon, Cococo, of Iron an Oak and some companies in England but I would like to sit on a couch if I buy it.
    Currently I have the Hancock and Moore chesterfield in the picture.