Thread: Kent Coffey Foreteller bedroom set

chisumharris Guest

Question Kent Coffey Foreteller bedroom set

I recently purchased a Kent Coffey Foreteller bedroom set and had a couple of questions. I don't know anything about furniture, other than I wanted something from the 60's and all wood. Although from everything I searched, everyone states the set is all wood, it appears to have a veneer surface. This is obvious due to a couple of pieces having small chips on the sides. I guess I'm confused about this...veneer vs. all wood.
    Also do people do repair on this type of damage, and what's the best 'polish' or method of removing small scratches on the surface. What does the stencil letters on back identify (TAWNY WAL)? Thanks for any help...certainly appreciate it.
    Cordially,
    Nicky Harris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K.C. 2.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	6951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K.C. 3.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	6952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K.C. 4.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	6953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K.C.5.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	6954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kent Coffey - Foreteller line.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	6955  

Last edited by chisumharris; 02-26-2015 at 01:09 AM.

Default Re: Kent Coffey Foreteller bedroom set

That is definitely veneer, which is a thin piece of decorative wood over less desirable wood bases. It very difficult to correctly repair and gets costly to do it right. Best cheapie repair is to get some epoxy wood putty and after you knead/mix it, apply carefully to the damaged area being sure to get to your final form before it dries (wet your fingers to shape it) as its difficult to sand and you want to avoid trying to shape it much when dry. Once dry, sand the area flush as required, use some lacquer based sanding sealer to fill the area, re-sand (repeat until smooth), then apply color via aerosol spray can to match, then clear coat the whole panel in spray lacquer. Now you just did repairs for under $ 30 in materials and a couple hours time. To remove small scratches # 0000 Steel Wool, use along the grain. Apply a coat of polish afterwards. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

chisumharris Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That is definitely veneer, which is a thin piece of decorative wood over less desirable wood bases. It very difficult to correctly repair and gets costly to do it right. Best cheapie repair is to get some epoxy wood putty and after you knead/mix it, apply carefully to the damaged area being sure to get to your final form before it dries (wet your fingers to shape it) as its difficult to sand and you want to avoid trying to shape it much when dry. Once dry, sand the area flush as required, use some lacquer based sanding sealer to fill the area, re-sand (repeat until smooth), then apply color via aerosol spray can to match, then clear coat the whole panel in spray lacquer. Now you just did repairs for under $ 30 in materials and a couple hours time. To remove small scratches # 0000 Steel Wool, use along the grain. Apply a coat of polish afterwards. Good luck.
    Thank you so much for the response. I'm familiar with lacquer from my old auto body shop days...so after repairs, should I put several coats of lacquer on the panel, sort of build it up and maybe use the #0000 steel wool on it afterwards? And also with only the end table, thank goodness...the top veneer appears splitting like you would see on the cheap composite furniture (attach pic). Could I "sand" this and coat it with lacquer also, and what grit paper should I use...what polish would you recommend.
    Thank you again, this information is certainly appreciated. To say I'm a novice with furniture is an overstatement, and the information is truly helpful
    Much regards,
    Nicky Harris
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Night table with split veneer.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	6956

You use the heavy-bodied sanding sealer for your filler coats, the final lacquer coats are just for color and sheen and will run if put on too heavy. I use Mohawk brand products for the trade, the work well. I use 150 grit for sanding. If the veneer is splitting not much you can do with that, the lacquer won't hold it and any epoxy putty will put too much build on it. Any polish and wax will be fine. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Labrador Guest

I realize this thread is a year old. However, I just joined, so, it's new to me! I'm interested to know if you repaired this end table and, if so, how'd you do it? FYI: You can re-veneer this piece pretty easily and inexpensively, too. Based on the era and looks, I'm guessing that's walnut veneer, which is readily available from several on-line sources.

chisumharris Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
    I realize this thread is a year old. However, I just joined, so, it's new to me! I'm interested to know if you repaired this end table and, if so, how'd you do it? FYI: You can re-veneer this piece pretty easily and inexpensively, too. Based on the era and looks, I'm guessing that's walnut veneer, which is readily available from several on-line sources.
    Hi,
    Actually I've never made repairs...we purchased a condo, moved, and I haven't had time to get to it. It's a coincident, I was just thinking about it again a couple of days ago. Thanks, I appreciate the message