Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best occasional chairs

pucks104 Guest

Default Best occasional chairs

We opted for the Arrington Sofa and the Sadler recliner and are looking for an occasional chair to complete our small 10'7" x 14" living room. End table or small round table by each chair/sofa. No coffee table. Restoration Hardware TV easel rather than a media console. The Arrington sofa is in Piazza Mink - the price was just too good to move to other leathers. Probably will do the Sadler Recliner in the same leather with same wood finish and nails. 9'x12' oriental with mink brown, blue bits of orange, greens and tans. Need suggestions for the style of the occasional chair. Thanks for any input. Gena

Default Re: Best occasional chairs

If you have the Arrington already, take a look at the Reid Recliner which has a better form factor than the Sadler for your sofa.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2265

To round out the set, this is one of the best compact chairs I have ever sat in:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2199

Also check out many of the Jessica Charles frames, there is a LOT that can work there.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

pucks104 Guest

Thanks Duane. If we put the recliner in Piazza Mink like the sofa and decided to go with the Oscar, which leather would you suggest. I don't think I would want all three pieces in the same leather. I am also looking at the Jessica Charles Cagney Swivel Glider in a fabric. I now need to find a Reid Recliner for DH to try. The measurements are very similar to the Sadler though it isn't quite as tall. Have you sat in a Reid Recliner and does it sit like the Sadler?

I really can't properly advise on color for the recliner as I don't know your room decor - or budget. I tend to like deep mid-tone browns or burgundy with Piazza Mink for a contrast, however. I own a Sadler and have sat in a Reid and find it close enough that I would buy a Reid without hesitation for myself.
    Duane Collie

pucks104 Guest

My only real concern between the Sadler and the Reid is the arm height. My DH is a reader and will often sit in a chair with his elbows resting on the arms while he holds a book to read. There is an inch and a half difference in the height of the arms of the Sadler (26.5") vs. The Reid (25"). I really don't know if it would make much of a difference for him but would bug him if the fit weren't right. I know the Sadler is an often chosen model and often in stores but I haven't seen the Reid in any of the 5 stores including Hickory Park and Furnitureland South that have several HM models on display. Have you sold the Reid much? I tried to find reference to it on the forum but it didn't really come up.

needstuff Guest

Re: elbow rest, we've notice a difference in comfort on our various chairs & sofas here.
    But the real issue isn't arm height itself, it's the differential between arm height and seat height.

Our own interest is more for resting arms, not elbows, but we found that for us arm height too close to the seat top can be uncomfortable, and too far from the seat can make resting uncomfortable or impossible.

Best bet is get hubby to sit on a chair that he finds comfortable for this purpose, and measure the difference between the seat height and the arm height. To simulate a specific differential a chair you are considering has, you can use books or something over the arm of your current chair if that would help replicate the situation.
    There is a range of several inches which would probably all be perfectly satisfactory, But there are probably absolute thresholds where it starts getting uncomfortably low or uncomfortably high.

One difficulty though is that there is a build tolerance associated with all of these dimensions, so you may not wind up with the exact differential you are hoping for exactly anyway.

Another thing, the elbows might eventually cause wear, Consider fabric with arm protectors? Leather pieces for some reason never come with arm protectors, though they are susceptible to showing friction wear too.
    Last edited by needstuff; 03-01-2015 at 02:50 PM.

pucks104 Guest

A couple more questions. I see that the Reid comes in a power recliner as well as a regular recliner. What are the pros and cons of one over the other? If I wanted DH to be able to try out a Reid recliner is it best to contact the factory directly or to go through a dealer?

This is a handmade industry still, so don't put too much faith in the measurements, they are more guidelines than absolutes, you can and will see dimensional variances. Having said that, I was just selecting based on style for your existing sofa, not matching specs.

The 1044 Sadler has been in the line now for a number of years and is also in Town and Country , whereas the 1063 Reid is not. It will be difficult to for you to find pieces to try out that are not on promotion as stores generally floor models where we get a price break from the maker for the showroom floor. Just like consumers, we dealers are always looking for a 'sale' to put on the floor so we rarely buy full-price stock (never, actually!) as inventory. You can call around, but there is no database of what dealer has in stock and H&M will not know, either. This is largely an industry that is not computerized - we still use fax machines to communicate more than any other electronic device. The only sure-fire way to try out a 1063 Reid is to find out when one is coming off the line at H&M's recliner plant in Hickory NC and then be there to see it and take a tour. Several customers do that and I can always set that up.

As to power vs manual, I always recommend power in wall hugger units, they can be hard to close. In conventional units, it's just a matter of choice and preference. Power allows you to stop the recliner and hold it anywhere in the movement range whereas manual stops you only at the detents. Power costs more, requires either a corded outlet or a battery to recharge and can be more complex, though reliability is very good of the components. Reid and Salder's are conventional units.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-01-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    Duane Collie

pucks104 Guest

I understand better now. Would you arrange a visit to the recliner factory when a Reid Recliner is coming off the line a d a tour. We will plan to go. There are a few dates I cannot make but as long as he is done by 3:30, DH should be able to go any day. He works in Hickory which is about a hour and 25 minutes from us. What information do you need from me to set this visit/tour up?

pucks104 Guest

I went back and looked at the models that hubby has tested and liked and the difference in SH and AH has been 4.5-5 inches except for one model that was 4 inches which is the difference on the Reid at least as the stats for each chair state. state. I hope for style as well as comfort. DH really wants comfort though he is trying to accomodate. Neither of us wants his chair to be stylish but uncomfortable. I expect to live with this furniture for at least the next 10-15 years and I don't want to think every time we sit down "oh, I wish we had chosen "X" model instead. We are going to try to get to the H&M recliner factory so DH can test the Reid recliner. Hopefully he will find it satisfactory and we can place our order. I have been trying to work out new furniture for 5 months now and am ready to be done. Once the furniture pieces are finalized, there are tables, lamps, window treatments, artwork and paint to deal with. At this rate it'll be 2016 before I get finished!