Thread: Rowe Fabric crisis PLEASE HELP!

mswkickdrum Guest

Default Rowe Fabric crisis PLEASE HELP!

I am trying to buy a mid century sectional, couch/curve/ bumper. Rowe makes one called a BRADY but they won’t make it in the fabric we want. They won’t tell us who/where the fabric comes from. Any fabric sleuths out there? Rowe’s number for the fabric is 42779-70 it’s a black background with two tone gold starbursts. Very mid century. I can get the set made from a custom maker but no one can figure out what mill the fabric is from. Doubt it’s a Rowe only as they aren’t that far up market. PLEASE HELP ME FIND THIS FABRIC!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42779-70 (1) rowe starburst.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	6996

mswkickdrum Guest

Default Re: Rowe Fabric crisis PLEASE HELP!

I will paypal someone if they can tell me what mill it comes from or what all the companies are Rowe gets fabric from. thanks, Marshall

You may want to search some upholstery sites, such as Decorators Best. I don't think it will be quick, but you might get lucky. I doubt it will be something that is for home decorating, like that carried at Joann's. You may find it at Calico Corner or Mill End Fabric.

Did Rowe give you a reason they would not do what you want? There may be a valid reason for them to refuse to do it.

Last edited by wisejd; 03-06-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Go to a ROWE dealer and buy it as cut yardage for your project. You can do that, yes? If you cannot buy it from Rowe as cut yardage, that's indicative that its a program fabric from China, where they make up "X" number of frames in that fabric, then load them all on a container ship and send them over. If that's the case, you stand about as much chance of tracking down that fabric as you do finding out where Jimmy Hoffa is buried....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mswkickdrum Guest

Thanks for the responses I will try those two fabric dealers also the other source is just selling it as a rowe fabric as a rowedealer although they offered it at $65 yard instead of the 100 my rowe dealer had quoted me

the couch sectional is called a Brady it would be 3 pieces couch wedge bumper the total yardage estimated for the pieces would be over 60 yards rowe will sell the fabric but at $100 a yard which means I would be spending over 6000 on just the fabric before I had even had a couch constructed. this piece is constructed either regular RG or plaid stripes PS, rowe does not pattern match so if you get a plaid stripes piece of furniture from them they will align the pattern vertically but they won't align it horizontally meaning if your pattern has a vertical stripe and a vertical role of polka dots they line the stripes up but at the seams the Polka Dot may not continue their pattern you may have the top half of one polka dot at the top of the seam and at the bottom of the seam and there's no polka dot but the polka dots and stripes will line up vertically.. apparently before they offer certain patterns they have to have them engineered for the piece which I imagine means that they scan the pattern into a CAD CAM machine and then program where on the bolt each piece will be cut out but they have not done this for this pattern for this couch series. they will make the couch in this fabric but we have to sign a waiver saying we will accept whatever we get and that they will be cutting the fabric as a regular. I assumed that since in the store the fabrics are hung on hangers and the pattern was obviously a vertical pattern and the display swatches had it shown as a vertical pattern that regular meant that the pattern would also be vertical on the couch as it was shown on the swatch hanger. I went to a different rowe dealer that had a couch that was from their vintage catalog much like this one is and is very similar and saw that in a plain fabric it had been constructed as a regular. The couch back the couch backrest and the front panel were all one continuous piece of fabric no seams. This fabric runs on the bolt not railroaded so if they cut this couch's pieces as regulars, the pattern will end up going sideways all across the whole couch sectional. in communicating this back through our dealer to the factory they asserted that they would not cut the fabric PS plaid stripe even though they do have cutting programs for this set as plaid stripe they will not do it. I can't spend almost $6000 on a couch with a pattern that sideways. the 100 dollars a yard price to purchase the fabric from ro tells me that they don't want to sell fabric they want to sell furniture because just the fabric cost more than the entire sectional made in their most expensive fabric. the problem I'm trying to solve obviously is where is the mill that I can buy or have my dealer buy the fabric from so that it doesn't cost $100 a yard. none of this would bother me if they would just make the couch with the pattern vertical which they will not do, they won't even offer to make it at a different price to take into account any difficulty they might have they just flat out won't do it. and of course they will not disclose where they get that fabric from. I can get biltwell to make the piece no problem, probably better quality AND they will true pattern match the construction, but I can't find the fabric from it's source.
    Thanks
    Marshall
    Last edited by mswkickdrum; 03-06-2015 at 12:54 PM.