Thread: Question about quality of sofa manufacturers

kchuval Guest

Default Question about quality of sofa manufacturers

My wife and I are in the market for a new sofa. When we began our search we thought that we would likely be in the market for a leather Bradington Young or possibly a Hancock and Moore sofa. However, after visiting the nicer furniture stores within 50 miles of our home, we saw and sat on very few leather sofas. Most of the sofas that were displayed were in fabric from many of the same three manufacturers (Sherrill, Henredon and Barnhardt). Due to us not feeling good about buying a sofa that we have not sat on, we are now considering fabric sofas that are available for us to test. How would you rate the quality of construction and covering of the following sofa manufacturers: Hancock & Moore, Bradington Young, CR Laine, Sherrill and Century? We were able to sit on four different BY sofas but only one that we were originally considering. Two seemed very comfortable and two were very uncomfortable. We sat on two H&M sofas, neither of which we were originally considering. We found a CR Laine that we thought was comfortable and seemed to be well made but this is not a brand that I have previously heard of. There were several Sherrill sofas and each of the stores were pushing the Sherrill sofas as being the highest quality but I did not find them to be overly comfortable due to the seat cushions being too soft and creating a gap between the seat cushion and the back cushion when sitting. I sat on a Century that seemed to be well made and comfortable for me but probably had a seat depth that was too deep for my wife to be comfortable. We would like to purchase a quality sofa that we find comfortable and visually appealing because we like to keep and use things for a long time. Any comments on the above manufacturers would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Question about quality of sofa manufacturers

Hancock & Moore and Sherrill build a very nice piece of furniture, its top shelf. Bradington Young, a level down as are CR Laine and Century. Bernhardt is not even in the running from a build / construction standpoint.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.