Thread: Marketing Jargon

Default Marketing Jargon

Here's a new trend I am seeing. Tesla and Rivian are using this in their marketing materials (From the Rivian web site)

Perforated vegan leather seating with patterned stitching

What is "Vegan leather" is a reasonable question I think the consumer should ask about. What is it? Well, its vinyl. And vinyl is typically made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and polyurethane (PU).

"Leather" by definition, is a product made of animal skin. So don't be waylaid by that marketing jargon....in fact, I think it should be illegal to use that term as it will lead purchasers to assume they are buying something at a higher level than vinyl, which they are not.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Marketing Jargon

Toyota no longer offers leather at all. Same thing. Cloth or “vegan leather”. The “Vegan leather” is actually the upgrade, and you pay more for it. The prices are in line with previous leather prices and it is marketed as the “luxury” choice in higher trim lines.

Default Re: Marketing Jargon

This is why education is so important, to know what you are paying for. There are different grades of vinyl, but at the end of the day it’s a derivative of plastic. On my 2021 Ford Transit 250, the vinyl is standard and cloth was an extra cost upgrade!

Elon Musk and Tesla started that Vegan Leather jargon ten years ago with Tesla, and I had more than one discussion in a Tesla showroom with the 20-something sales agents that it wasn’t leather…..

Even a car as pricey as a Porsche only has leather seating surfaces, with vinyl sides. I paid an auto upholsterer to remove the seat covers on my 2014 911 , take out the vinyl and sew in leather panels. I know, I know, I’m over the top. But leather wears well, vinyl doesn’t.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.