Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Default Re: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

My pleasure!

I continue to be amazed at the LACK of knowledge of some people that sell leather furniture, its amazing the stupidity and advice some in the trade put forth. All 'Protected' means is the leather is painted, nothing more. Body oils from hair and hands together with dirt will soil any leather from any maker over time, and that will break down the coatings and tannins in the leather, causing it to darken and crack. Keep it cleaned and conditioned, and you have eliminated the primary cause of leather failure, simple as that.

Imagine for example, a baseball cap or say a pair of jeans. You wear it every day and never bother to clean them, just use them. What are is that cap or pair of jeans going to look like in a year? In five years? In ten? They're going to be really, really nasty, and the materials used to make the degrading over time. Baseball caps get tossed in the trash regularly and jeans laundered, but think if they didn't? You have to get the dirt and oils off the hides and you have to put some moisturizer back in them from time to time. Do that, and you can easily get 40 + years out of leather upholstery, I know - I've done it in my own home (well actually, my oldest piece is now 32 years old but its in fine shape).

One kit will probably last you two years on two recliners, doing the treatment every 6 months. You should have enough to do them both at least 4x.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane, which kit for Hand Antiqued Saddle and Mesquite Saddle leathers? Thanks again!

Hand-Antiqued is a form of Burnished, so that gets the kit with OIL

Mesquite is a pull-up leather, so that one would b OIL and WAX

However, if you have both, don't buy two kits, just get the oil and wax one and use the oil part sparingly and you will be good to go.
    Duane Collie

Is it me, am I missing something, or were the results of this test that you can use and apply the kit regularly or simply be patient and wait the end result will be the same?

Here's some good videos done by Pam at Leather Solutions International, she is one of the best in the industry at leather care and repair.

http://www.leathersi.com/How-To-Videos_c_54.html
    Duane Collie

I watched all of them and they were very interesting. The last one left us hanging, though, lol. It said will be right back to show you the final touch and then it ended. I still don't get how the softener is going to help a protected leather since there is a top coat on it that prevents it from penetrating. Maybe it does eventually.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	128385EB-6EC0-4152-B9BC-1E8F33238AF0.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	10797Hi Duane,

I got my Wrangler in Capri leather and we are all loving it. I wanted to buy the product I should put on as a protector. You do recommend that initially, or not necessarily? Thanks for all your help, it’s been a great pleasure working with you.

I’ll send more pictures as we get our pillows made, but this is an “arrival day” pic. Sun Delivery was fab and the sectional is in beautiful condition. My husband (thus far) has banned the pooch because of her big claws. The leather is “heartier” than I thought, but since she is a big dog and the leather pristine; she’s fine on her throne!

Yours truly,
    Monica Deitell

Duane, thank you so much for your invaluable guidance. What would you recommend for Pullman leather (in Walnut - Extreme Burnished)? Since I understand from posts years ago that this is not ordinarily part of the HM leather line-up, I've had trouble finding anything about this - i.e. is it pull up? Would it warrant an oil Leather Solutions kit or the Aniline kit?

As an aside, last week I just acquired from Craigslist a Lynne Sofa in the Pullman Walnut - Extreme Burnished leather. I had been meaning to register on here and post the question above, but then on Friday night the situation turned urgent: my husband and I were enjoying big glasses of red wine when our 50lb dog, who is 4 years old going on 6 months, comes flying across the sofa, shearing and shattering my husband's wine glass while the red wine went EVERYWHERE - on all 6 cushions, my white sweater, our light colored Saarinen chair - talk about a Friday night buzzkill! We tried to take a damp cloth and blot the wine, but I have no idea when the sofa had been cleaned/conditioned last (if ever).

We were frantic, and I grabbed the nearest leather conditioner that I have used on my saddle and also Hermes bags and hoped that if it didn't harm those expensive items, it would be ok for the HM. But I felt like I needed to do something since the leather seemed so dry I didn't want it to soak up the water and wine. Anyway, the wine/water has mostly faded into the patina, thank goodness! But I mention my faux pas with the Leather n Rich in case I need to take extra steps to do something different before treating it the right way.

Pullman leather is an Italian Burnished, so you would want Kit # 3 for that one. Pullman was a leather they used to buy on deal only - from a particular tannery. Then they would make up special promo sofas in it for dealers to floor stock. It was never sampled or a leather you could really order on a piece - it was one you bought off-the-floor at a dealer. I always liked that hide and frequently did buy it on promos.

Don't panic when you have big spills on leather. Best thing to do is blot it up, then use a damp rag to lightly go over it after the blot - then leave it alone to dry. Don't go after it and try to clean it. Don't use leather conditioning products (which are water based) on it either, a that over-saturates the leather and causes issues. Let it fully dry, usually the stain will work itself out over time - then come in and use the Leather Magic products.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Pullman leather is an Italian Burnished, so you would want Kit # 3 for that one. Pullman was a leather they used to buy on deal only - from a particular tannery. Then they would make up special promo sofas in it for dealers to floor stock. It was never sampled or a leather you could really order on a piece - it was one you bought off-the-floor at a dealer. I always liked that hide and frequently did buy it on promos.
    A belated thank you for this information! I'm relieved to report that there's no really obvious marking/staining from our wine disaster and amateur cleanup attempts - I'm already impressed with this leather! I'll be sending you an e-mail to purchase the #3 kit from you. Thank you again!

Also, in the videos you linked to where Pamela from LSI is explaining cleaning etc., which would be most relevant to burnished Pullman leather? Aniline/unprotected? Wax pull up? Oil pull up?