Thread: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Threaded View

Default Re: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Here is what happens when you fail to do the maintenance on your new leather furniture. This customer had a 2-year old Bradington Young and was upset about the condition of the leather on his sectional and claimed that it was defective. This was one of the photos sent to me and when B-Y would not do anything for him regarding the appearance he became even more upset.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wear.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	13285

In order to smooth the waters, I agreed to pay 1/3 the cost of restoration of the casings if he sent them all to Pam at Leather Solutions in Asheville NC. This is Pam's before and after photos as she just finished completing the repairs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	13286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	13287

Pam also sent me a email on this, because she knew I was vested in the outcome. This I want to share because its IMPORTANT that you do your maintenance and use the right products. There is no one-step product, you must use at the very least a cleaner and conditioner. I get the fact that you don't want to pay $ 50 for a proper kit + shipping (more if pull-up or burnished hide) , but do you really want to pay for a restoration instead?

Pam's email to me:

This was not properly maintained. They need to be cleaning, softening and protecting these seats every 3 months, especially in Florida. Florida has sea salt in the air and it dries out the leather. It also depends on what they mean by “I did the care”. Some people think wiping it down with a damp cloth is sufficient. You need soap and water to clean. Some think it only needs to be done when they think of it, maybe 1 a year. Or, they use the Wainman wipes from Walmart and that is even worse on leather. This was obviously not maintained and it is not a leather defect. FYI, if it is over 1 year old it is wear and tear and improper maintenance or the wrong products. If it is under 1 year it is probably medication related. In all my years of doing this I have only called a leather defect probably 3 times. It is almost always man made problems.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-24-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.