Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91617181920 LastLast

Thread: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Default Re: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Cleaner is cheap (and you can also make your own) it's the Conditioner that is costly. I go sparingly on the latter - the more important part is cleaning anyways. On my own leather at home, I will use just enough Conditioner to get coverage.
    Thanks, that helps. I reread all the posts on this thread first and I saw your recipe for making cleaner on one of the pages of this thread. I'm assuming it's safe to use for any type of leather since mine is the protected type. I know it doesn't mean it's protected, it just means it's painted.

When your furniture is new do you use the conditioner all over the entire piece or focus mainly on the parts where there is human contact (arms, head area, seat area) and go over briefly on the others such as the back of the furniture piece, sides, etc.?

I didn't let my conditioner sit for 2 hours or so as I don't recall it being listed on the card that was included with the kit but saw that listed somewhere on this thread. I watched Pam's video again too and I could be totally wrong but don't remember her mentioning that either, but again, I could have easily not caught that part. It was dry when I put on the protector so I'm assuming that's okay.

I don't vouch for the "safety" of my own cleaning brew because I don't need the liability! I'll just say I use it with excellent results, use at your own risk.

Myself, When I do a leather piece I do the entire thing, back and sides as well. I don't apply it heavily enough to require 2 hours for it to flash off, I do thin coats on my own leather at home and in the store.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you!

Quick request for advice on the proper care kit - I have a West Elm "Hamilton" sofa with leather described as follows: "This 100% top-grain leather is full aniline dyed and hand finished with an oil and wax blend. Buttery-soft to the touch, it features highs and lows in coloring and develops a beautiful patina over time."

Would you recommend the pull-up Leather Solutions kit, since there's both oil and wax on the finish? Or might something like Moore & Giles 33 or the basic LS kit work? Thanks!

Both work, if you want speed, do the Leather Solutions Pull-Up/Burnished kit, its much quicker. If you want the ultimate leather care product and are patient to rub it all in, the # 33 Balm (when used with a cleaner beforehand) is fantastic. You can make your own cleaner, too.
    Duane Collie

Awesome, thank you!

Miserable day in Virginia, hot / humid / rainy. No outdoor chores for me, an inside day. Let's clean my leather furniture! A task no one enjoys, but a necessity if you want maximum longevity out of your investment in fine leather furniture. I am doing

(2) Sofas,
    (1) Recliner,
    (2) Barshools,
    (2) Lounge Chairs,
    (1) Cocktail ottoman
    (1) Office Chair,
    (1) Occasional chair
    (1) Footstool.

That's on my main floor - media room leather downstairs for another day. Because most my furniture is burnished leather, I will be using four products, and four passes on most pieces Time will be about 2 hours using the Leather Solutions Burnished kit.

First, I don't have enough Cleaner checking my home stock, so I will make my own. 1 oz of white vinegar, and one pump of Mrs Meyer's Hand Soap, the rest of the bottle filled with water. Cleaning is the most important part, so I use lots of cleaner on my pieces. I grab three Costco Microfiber towels and off I go.

1) Cleaner
    2) Softener
    3) Oil
    4) Wax

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1864.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	15675
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1865.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	15674
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-16-2023 at 12:43 PM.
    Duane Collie

I use the Leather Solutions kit for burnished leather, but it sure takes me way longer than 2 hours just to do an ottoman and one sofa -- more like 8 hours! I go over every leather surface: front, back and sides and take off all 6 sofa cushions and go over their tops, partial bottoms and 4 sides. That is done four times to apply each of the bottles. I think it is a little faster using my hands to apply the lotion, oil, and wax, but still an incredibly laborious, back-breaking process. One cleaning uses about 3/4 of each of the bottles. What am I doing wrong, or what's the secret to an easier way? Many thanks.

I may be doing it the wrong way, but I just treat the areas that get touched. One pass with cleaner on a microfiber cloth, one pass with the conditioner on a microfiber cloth-for protected leather. It's pretty quick and I'm done with a couch in 15 minutes.

Wow....I don't know what to say. I do mine much faster....a single sofa and ottoman would be 40 - 50 minutes. Sounds like you are using too much product, too. Go fast and thin coats.
    Duane Collie