Thread: changing color of Natuzzi leather sofas

Default changing color of Natuzzi leather sofas

Hey all. Need some good advice. I have 2 30 yr old Natuzzi leather sofas. they have been great quality. They are plum color and my wife wants them a brown. I just retired from a commercial painting career so I know all about coatings. In my experience the solvent chemicals have been the best. In my research I see much in the water base for leather color change. so my question is that the best? If somebody had a link or two to some industrial leather color change OR the very best acrylic I would greatly appreciate a steer in the right direction.
    blessings,
    Keith

Default Re: changing color of Natuzzi leather sofas

I personally would not put in the effort to attempt this from any makers sofa that are 30 years old. No matter what you do, it’s a full on spray job that will peel in a year or two. If you want to keep the frames then reupholster instead. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I personally would not put in the effort to attempt this from any makers sofa that are 30 years old. No matter what you do, it’s a full on spray job that will peel in a year or two. If you want to keep the frames then reupholster instead. Good luck.
    oh ok. I was o YouTube and see people do this sort of thing but they never say how it ages. I do own spray equipment but don't want peeling. thanks for taking time to answer....sigh

There are some issues when painting leather that you don't run into when painting other surfaces. First, its's always flexible. There are not many things painted that are always flexing. That means you have to have exactly the right paint, and the right amount of flex agent, then apply only a thin layer. I have no idea who supplies that. Next is surface prep. All paint needs to be able to "bite" into something, That means sanding down the leather, which almost no one does. Finally, this has to be done only on finished leather. If you do it on anilines hides the oil and was infusion from the tannery will never let the paint adhere.

Too much work, too sketchy on the outcome.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.