Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Default Re: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Here is what happens when you fail to do the maintenance on your new leather furniture. This customer had a 2-year old Bradington Young and was upset about the condition of the leather on his sectional and claimed that it was defective. This was one of the photos sent to me and when B-Y would not do anything for him regarding the appearance he became even more upset.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wear.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	13285

In order to smooth the waters, I agreed to pay 1/3 the cost of restoration of the casings if he sent them all to Pam at Leather Solutions in Asheville NC. This is Pam's before and after photos as she just finished completing the repairs.

Name:	before.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	13286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	13287

Pam also sent me a email on this, because she knew I was vested in the outcome. This I want to share because its IMPORTANT that you do your maintenance and use the right products. There is no one-step product, you must use at the very least a cleaner and conditioner. I get the fact that you don't want to pay $ 50 for a proper kit + shipping (more if pull-up or burnished hide) , but do you really want to pay for a restoration instead?

Pam's email to me:

This was not properly maintained. They need to be cleaning, softening and protecting these seats every 3 months, especially in Florida. Florida has sea salt in the air and it dries out the leather. It also depends on what they mean by “I did the care”. Some people think wiping it down with a damp cloth is sufficient. You need soap and water to clean. Some think it only needs to be done when they think of it, maybe 1 a year. Or, they use the Wainman wipes from Walmart and that is even worse on leather. This was obviously not maintained and it is not a leather defect. FYI, if it is over 1 year old it is wear and tear and improper maintenance or the wrong products. If it is under 1 year it is probably medication related. In all my years of doing this I have only called a leather defect probably 3 times. It is almost always man made problems.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-24-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I got an email from someone that said "You obviously have a vested interest in selling these kits as you make a profit on them, I am pretty sure the leather product I get at Wal Mart is just as good and costs only $ 10 a bottle". <rolling eyes>. OK, yes I make a profit on these kits, its a whopping $ 12 each after I pay shipping to get them from North Carolina, pay the credit card fees or paypal fees, go to the Post Office to pickup Flat Rate Boxes, process the order, write up a ticket, box and print a label, then take them back down to the Post Office to drop them off inside because they won't fit in the blue outside mailboxes. Believe me when I tell you that selling a year's worth of leather care kits doesn't equate to the profit of selling one single recliner! If you are happy with the results of the $ 10 one-step product, by all means stay with it and good luck to you.

I just did all my leather furniture in my own home the past two day, most all of which is burnished or pull-up leather. That's four bottles, four repeats on every piece. A bit of a chore, it is! However I can tell you that one kit covered the following and I still have some left over: (2) Sofas, (1) Recliner, (1) Cocktail Ottoman, (2) Desk Chairs, (4) stationary Chairs, (2) Barstools and (1) Boot stool. Like most people I tend to fall behind on my maintenance at home, but wow - everything sure looks better now, especially the pair of family room sofas.
    Duane Collie

We fall behind as well. But still get it done twice a year. But our Emilio couch chair and ottomans look exactly as they did when we bought them over three years ago. And I need to get another kit. Call you soon D

I just completed the first 2 steps on one couch and my ottoman. I’m waiting a few hours and then I’ll do step 3. I agree Duane throw out the applicators that come with the kit. I can tell you it brought back the nice fresh leather smell. My microfiber towel I used to clean wasn’t that dirty at all, it did get a little burnt red from the nail heads, I’m assuming that’s some of the burnish coming off.

Step 3 coming up and then I have to set a reminder in my phone to complete 3 times a year.

Duane thank you so much for this forum and all the knowledge you provide!!!!

Anyone have any advice for cleaning around the nail heads? I have some on one chair in the front (vertical) that are getting kind of grungy and even a little green on the edges like you might get from bronze / brass oxidation over time. I was thinking of some leather cleaner and a toothbrush or something gentle like ivory and a toothbrush? I don't want to use any tarnish remove like Tarn-X or something because I don't want to damage the leather.

I've only ever seen one chair have green-tarnish nails and that was (I thought) due to the guy eating and sleeping and living in the chair. It had so many food and drink stains on it that the whole chair was ruined. He brought it back to the store wanting a free replacement after five years because "It didn't hold up". That didn't go anywhere for him, but that's the one and only situation I encountered that around the nails.

You can't go wrong with some ivory bar soap on a white cloth. It may not take the green out, but it won't hurt anything, either. A worn out toothbrush as a light scrubber should be fine. Try it and see if it works. Let us know.
    Duane Collie

Which kit do I need for hyde park burnished? Kit#2 or #3?

All burnished leathers are Kit # 3
    Duane Collie

Before I call to purchase I just want to make sure I purchase kit one? Please see picture. Thank you!

Name:	F6D986D8-3BF9-48DA-B804-E60648F00595.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	13366

Quote Originally Posted by Sendhelp View Post
    Before I call to purchase I just want to make sure I purchase kit one? Please see picture. Thank you!

Name:	F6D986D8-3BF9-48DA-B804-E60648F00595.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	13366
    Most likely.
    Duane Collie