Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol

Mostly staining of leather with body oils is caused be medication a person is taking. Sometimes it can be quite dramatic. Keep the Protector coating on the leather out of the kit and stay on top of it as that is your best chance to barrier the hide. Yes, you can get seat or back cushion casings a la carte. In a Gr 2 leather, a new seat casing is $ 260 + shipping, a back casing is done on a quote basis. Its identical to the original casing in all aspects.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jaywalker Guest

I was recently surprised when our aniline sofa had some stains disappear over time - I'd never heard about that. Still, protecting would be a better idea.

1. Is this Leather Solution something that once you start with it you have to continue? I can see myself 10 years from now wondering whether the cost is really worth it.

2. Also, does it turn this nice, breathable leather into an expensive protected leather? I really dislike hot, non-breathable "waterproof" leather shoes.

Think of it this way....(to answer question # 1). If you took a daily shower and used soap, shampoo and conditioner for your hair, would you have to keep doing that? The answer would be no of course, but you wouldn't look or smell very nice down the road apiece. I have leather furniture in my house that is now 30 years old and it looks great - because I stay on top of the treatments. If you don't all that will happen is a shorter life span on your hide.

# 2) No, it does not. the topcoat is water-based and goes on very thinly, you won't even notice it. Do a test yourself, one arm on a sofa or chair with it applied, the other not. Then see the difference (and also flick some water drops on each one to see the barrier at work).
    Duane Collie

joe333x Guest

What products would you recommend for a Flexsteel Crosstown sectional with semi aniline leather with vinyl sides and back?

With the time change this weekend I gave the Atticus Sable Austin High Back and Ottoman a good Ivory soap clean and rinse! Gorgeous leather!

Don't forget to condition the leather! Cleaning is good, but you need to use the softener as well to prevent hide drying and cracking.
    Duane Collie

jjk_reef00 Guest

I need to order some cleaner and conditioner.
    I believe I have Aniline but don't know if I need 2 or 3.
    And I don't know the leather type.
    I think I may need 3 because my sofa shows signs similar to this:
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...hlight=Aniline

If you have a waxy, pull-up leather then you would want the # 3 kit, though you certainly won't hurt anything if you use the # 2 kit on it.
    Duane Collie

strofferazo Guest

I have a question about the Leather Solutions kit. I received a box free from H&M when I purchased/registered my Sundance sofa that contained 1 bottle of leather cleaner and 1 bottle of conditioning cream (no softener). I used it for the first time recently and noticed that the conditioner 'cream' was the exact same consistency as the cleaner (clear liquid, like water). I was just wondering if that was normal? It was not a cream in any sense. My sofa is not in the sun and is not quite a year old, and still looks like brand new, but I went ahead and used both products as instructed. I also sent an email to Leather Solutions but other than a canned reply that they received my email and would get back to me - they never got back to me with an answer. I have saddles, and every saddle conditioner I have ever used on them was more of a cream, so I want to make sure the right product was in that bottle :-) Thanks!

sstarrx2 Guest

I went ahead and purchased kit from Duane for my Recliner that is being delivered in March. I went ahead and used it on my Flexsteel Sofa and Love seat, the entire three step process. I will say I did not bother using it on the Vinyl parts, I just cleaned those with other stuff. It is very easy to apply and everything you need comes in the kit, except for a terry towel to do the wipe down. You know the cleaner is working because you can see the dirt on the sponge applicator. The softener is the second step, and you have to let in soak in for a couple of hours, but it drys really quick to sight. The last step is the protector which like Duane says has the consistency of water and also drys to very quick to sight, but you let it dry for 30 minutes anyway. All three products in the kit are very easy to apply and are very thin and watery. No, lotions or balms. I bought the kit for the protected leather and my Flexsteel is Semi Aniline, so it worked fine. The kit will probably do your Sofa /Love seat twice, so if you follow Duane's regimen of every six months, a kit will last a year. One $50 kit and a couple of hours of actual work a year is a small price to pay to keep your investment in great shape for 30 years.