Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol

The cleaner and protectant are clear products, but the conditioner is definitely cream-like. I am pretty sure they hand-fill each one of these bottles at Leather Solutions Int'l and you may have just got two bottles of cleaner with one mis-labeled.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

sstarrx2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The cleaner and protectant are clear products, but the conditioner is definitely cream-like. I am pretty sure they hand-fill each one of these bottles at Leather Solutions Int'l and you may have just got two bottles of cleaner with one mis-labeled.
    Well, it is white where the other two are clear. It is pretty runny through, even when shaken up real well. I will go with more like Skim Milk!

strofferazo Guest

Thanks for the info, I bet that is what happened. My sofa must be really clean now!

puremichigan Guest

Hi Duane~ We are still loving our "new" H&M furniture, but I have a leather maintenance question. Our furniture arrived in late September, and in mid-October we covered it and left until early December. We used it very lightly for about six weeks, before covering it again for the next three months. We have just returned home and are going to do the Leather Solutions maintenance routine with the kit purchased from you when we ordered our furniture. My question is, do we need to apply the cleaner at all since the sofa (Cameo Carmel Burnished Grade 3) and Kenneth chair (Burl Elm Polished Grade 4) have never really been used and the recliners (Capri Mink Grade 4) have been used only for about two months? There does not appear to be anything to clean, as the furniture has been covered with soft drapes for most of its time here. I do not want to apply cleaner if it is not needed, but I am happy to do it if it is important to the cleaning regimen. Thanks for any insight you might have.

I Don't think there is a hard and fast rule on time, the more you use it, the more it needs a clean. Since you haven't used it much at all, I think you will be fine to wait until a rainy day and you need a project!
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane! I have a few questions. As you know, we got our york sectional in tiburon java back in March/April. I wipe it down with a warm damp cloth at least once a week (heavy usage, 3 very young children). I have not conditioned it yet or applied any products. Once I used a little dove "sensitive" soap. Am I drying out the hide by wiping it often without conditioning it... Especially the time I did use a little soap? I was agast recently when I saw that the back cushion of the seat my husband always sits in is stained all across where his shoulders rest after just two months.... He does not take any meds, but it has been so hot. Will that stain come out? And will it damage the leather? I had been meaning to order the Leather Solutions kit from you but haven't yet. The movers arrive tomorrow to get us packed up for Hawaii. I will not see it again for maybe 8 weeks. I dont know what levels of heat it might be in while shipping. It has been near 100 here. I have some leather magic conditioner and protectant I had bought to use on our vehicle's leather upholstery... Should I give it a good soap down and condition and protect it with the leather magic I have today?

One more question-- regarding moving-- I was going to insist that the movers wrap both sofa pieces in plastic wrap and then cover with blankets. Will the plastic wrap be ok on the hide for up to two months in the heat? And how should they place it in the crate (our boxes will all go into numerous wooden crates)? The Navy contracts out with some notoriously bad companies...
    Last edited by Savannah; 06-26-2016 at 07:26 AM.

Hi Savannah,

You are not harming the leather at all with the damp cloth and mild soap, that's perfectly fine.

If you are getting a stain area on the leather from where you husband sits, then the chemicals in his skin are causing that to occur. I assume it's not through his clothing, but skin-on-leather contact. Some people have that in their body that causes that. Generally that stain will not come out. Post a photo if you can so I can see what it is you are dealing with. What to do in that case is get the Leather Solutions kit and begin that regimen, especially the "protectant" bottle and make sure that is applied in that contact area which should help barrier to some degree. Also, I would get a headrest cover. I can have H&M make one of the same leather ( $ 120) or you can make do with a piece of material cut to fit that area. Leather Magic is a good product, go ahead and use that as well.

As to wrapping for moving, its best to put the pads on the piece and then use the plastic wrap to secure the pads. That way the pads stay on and don't slide. Heat should not bother the piece at all.
    Duane Collie

MJM_CA Guest

Hello Duane, what kit do you recommend for Gaucho Mocha Burnished leather?

Thanks for your help!
    Mike

That's an aniline leather, so the aniline kit is a good idea. The product is the same in each kit, just the instructions vary (Aniline they tell you to use a hair dryer in application to speed the process and avoid water spotting). On a burnished leather however, I generally never bother with the hair dryer - that's mostly for more nude leathers like Capri and Quintessence and Arizona,
    Duane Collie

MJM_CA Guest

Thanks, Duane.
    What has been your experience with wear on burnished leathers? I'm mostly concerned with hair and body oils leaving dark spots over time. Would you say burnished leather is more resistant to that issue since it has a waxy top coat finish?
    I've noticed darker areas on the arms of my older aniline Ryan leather recliner - even though I do clean it fairly regularly. No issues with the Columbia protected semi-aniline leather sectional.