Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

chrisicf Guest

Default Re: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Which kit is best for BY 9869-87 leather? (example shown here: https://www.bradington-young.com/aar...formation.aspx)

You would want Kit # 1.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ViviV Guest

Hi Duane!
    It's time for us to do cleaning/maintenance on our H&M furniture. Our leather is Tiburon Java. I have the #3 kit. Here are my questions:
    1) Do I use the hairdryer? If so, use low heat?
    2) I get that step 1 is clean and step 2 is condition (bottles are labeled clearly). But I also have an OIL cream and a WAX cream bottles. Which one do I use next? Or do I mix both together to make step 3 (protect?)? The instructions don't explain this very clearly.
    3) Do you use a sponge to apply cleaner or do you stick to microfiber cloths all the way (using clean ones for each step, of course)?
    4) Does one kit usually run out in one application?
    5) Can we sit on the furniture right away after treatment is done?

Lastly, is Tiburon a WAX pull up or an OIL pull up, aniline leather? I watched the videos on Leather Solutions, Inc.'s website and she differentiates between waxed and oiled (pull up) aniline leathers..... which is mine? Or is it both? :S

Viviv

The "hairdryer" part in the instructions is so you don't water-saturate the leather, as all the materials in the kits are water-based. Too much and you can get a ring stain from water absorption. Myself, I never use the hair dryer because I toss that sponge in the kit right in the trash, along with those two cloths that shed lint because they are not seamed. Use a microfiber cloth that won't hold all that liquid material like the sponge does and then you don't risk applying too much and getting a water stain on a pure aniline.

Clean. Condition. Oil. Wax. In that order.

I can get about (20) pieces out of a single kit, but I don't put it on heavy. Light is right. Yes, use it as soon as its dry is fine.

Tiburon is a pull up with both oil and wax in it, so you use both. Will leave it looking nice and like new again!
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane,

This is Chuck from Montreal. I bought two H&M chairs from you about six years ago, and I also stopped in to visit your store in May of 2012. I had an accidental spill on the ottoman that goes with my recliner--tomato sauce--and now there is a grease spot on it about the size of a clenched fist. Any thoughts, advice or suggestion? I did some initial research and came across a product from Colourguard, Leather Degreaser from Leather Master and some other suggestions from my web search and from looking on youtube as well. Thanks.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Best thing to do right now is nothing at all. Blot up the tomato sauce as best you can and then use a lightly damp rag (not wet) to blot up some of the sauce, then walk away from it. Most the time the stain will fade out on its own, sometimes a few days, other times a few months. What you don't want to do is get after the stain with any kind of cleaner, because that will push it down into the hide and set it, then it will be permanent. Less is more on leather stains, the hardest part is to just leave it alone! Go ahead and use that area as you normally would, too.

Duane
    Duane Collie

Thanks Duane.

dbird Guest

I'm not sure this is the best thread for this question....we are about to buy a sofa with burnished leather and want to prevent sun damage. We are going to have a UV film on one side window which gets a lot of direct sunlight. Our windows already have some UV filter but this would provide more. We have a large sliding door in the room that only gets direct sunlight for about an hour a day, in the late afternoon. (there is a covered porch outside as well as large hedges that block most of the direct light)

How much of a role does indirect light play in sun fade on unprotected leathers? Our house is fairly dark as is, so we are reluctant to put anything on the windows that would darken the rooms even more. Thanks as always!

My experience in my own home, is that even indirect sunlight can fade. When we build our house 17 years ago, we put solar film on all West and South windows. We did not do so on the East and Northern ones. Rationale was the East light was morning only,and the sun was soon in the trees anyways. Well, the East light faded our furniture, though slowly. Over the years we did film / or replace all East exposure with Low E glass and that has stopped all sun fade. We have never had any issues with the north exposures.

My opinion is that the moderate or low exposure will still damage rugs, floors, art work and furniture, but it does so at a much slower rate. Still, damage is damage and it make take 6 or 7 years to see it vs 2 or 3, but the end result will be the same.

You can put high UV block film on windows that won't darken the room much, maybe 5 % to 10%, its not that bad. Your solar tint person should have samples.
    Duane Collie

Duane, I appreciate all you've done for all of us with this forum. I've learned more here than I've ever learned anywhere else. I've had several furniture stores say "oh this leather is protected, you don't have to do anything". Common sense says anything you have has to be taken care of properly. I don't know anything I own that doesn't require some kind of maintenance. I'll be ordering a leather kit from you within the next two weeks for protected (painted) in the next few weeks. Is one kit enough to do 2 sami recliners?