Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Default Re: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Burnished leathers are treated like Pull-ups, as that is their base stock and so you would want KIT 3.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I have very oily hair, even though a shampoo it every day, after two weeks my pillow cover has a dark stain on it and I have to rub liquid detergent into the fabric to get it clean. I just purchased my first piece of leather furniture, Hancock and Moore Woodbridge Chip/Wing chair recliner (mechanical not electrical)with the Alberta Harness leather (I wish I had found your store and forum before I selected this leather), as this is "protected" leather according to the warranty card that came with the chair, should I just get Leather Solutions' Kit 1 or do I also need the 4 oz pull-up oil from kit 3. Thanks for the advice in advance. . . BTW this is absolutely the most comfortable chair I have ever been in. . . Thanks for all of your assistance in advance.

"Protected" just means its a painted leather (finished), not armoured. Use Kit # 1 and in between kit treatments, just take a damp cloth once a week or so and give it a swipe at the headrest whenever you think about it. That simple damp cloth swipe will do a lot to remove hair oils from the leather. Perhaps also do the full maintenance using the kit products every 4 months instead of 6 as well.
    Duane Collie

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol

Hi, I just purchased an H&M sofa used. It has a registration number 962374004003 and a sample of the leather with the back of the hide much lighter than the front. I am wanting to identify the leather if possible so that I can purchase the correct cleaning and conditioning product. By the way, this sofa is a thing of incredible beauty even though it has scratches and wear to the leather! Thanks much for your time and effort with this forum.

You may call H&M and read them that registration number, and they can then tell you the leather that was used in the build, along with date of manufacture.
    Duane Collie

I'm thinking about ordering H&M furniture with either Brigade or Hyde Park leather. I'm curious which leather cleaning/conditioning kit would be used for each leather. Thanks much!

Those both use Kit # 3, $ 74.99 as the proper one.
    Duane Collie

Duane, as I mentioned today in the store, the web address for Leather Solutions International (leathersi.com) is no longer is valid. After some research this evening I have found their new web address which is: damagedleathersolutions.com

Thanks! I might also add my price is $ 1 less on the basic kits, shipped.
    Duane Collie

OK I was halfway through a long post about this product and something happened, hit a wrong key and lost it all. Grrrr. Anyway, finally used the kit I bought from you. I applied the softener to most of the sofa and am waiting the 2 hours before applying the protectant. Maybe placebo effect, but already feels a little softer and smoother, lol. Came up with a few questions in the process. Since it is the first time, I am applying EVERY WHERE on the sofa, lol, even the parts under the cushions and the underside of the cushion itself. I paid special attention to the piping hoping to decrease the chances it will develop cracking and peeling. I plan to follow the 3 month schedule during heating months because I had no choice but to put it in front of baseboard heaters. I also pull it away from the wall in winter. Given the time involved and the cost of the product, I want to protect the leather but make the product last as long as possible. Just for reference I have the Cavalier protected leather.

Is it necessary to do every part of the sofa every time, like the parts under the cushions? Will it really do anything to prevent cracking or peeling of the piping and if so should those areas be done more often? Do you think it would make any difference if I skip one application in summer when there is no heat on, humidity is higher, and ac is on? Do I need to use the cleaner to remove old protectant before reapplying the softer next time or will it build up a better layer of protection if I just reapply it on top of the previous layer?

Of the softener and protectant, is one more important than the other in preserving the leather? I was thinking I might be able use just the softer on most of the sofa and buy additional bottles of that when necessary, and the protectant just on the areas where spills might occur like the cushion tops and arms. My young nephew also bought a used H&M leather chair and I was thinking of buying him just a bottle of the softener to help him preserve it. He is young, newly married and there is no way I think he can afford these kits to take care of it. I will need to find out what kind of leather it is, but I think the softner is good for all leathers, correct?