Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Default Re: Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

I usually do the entire piece, however I put it on very thinly - I think most folks apply too heavily. Yes, you should see a difference immediately, its usually quite noticeable after a treatment.

The Softener is the most expensive component in the kit. I have the bottles alone for $ 32.99 as that is usually used up the quickest. Again, don't apply too heavily. It's the key component though, and you always want to clean it before applying it. I can do about (25) pieces out of one kit, a mix of sofas / chairs / barstools, etc.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ok thanks. I thought I was doing it thinly, but maybe I could go even thinner. It seemed to dry almost immediately. I used about 1/2” of solution for the sofa. Can you tell me how many ounces in your bottles of softener and how much shipping would be? Thanks!

By the way is the cleaning first because of dirt and oils or to remove the old products or both? Since it is covered with a couple of throws most of the time, it doesn’t even get any dust on most of it, lol. I did use the cleaner on the arms and the cloth came back completely clean even in those areas. I certainly wouldn’t put the products on dirty or dusty leather but I am trying not to make more work than necessary to increase the odds that I will keep up with it also. If I need to clean the old product off that is a different story and I may just do it a little less often.p

Sorry I am realizing I may be asking you questions you can’t answer, lol. I realize you didn’t develop the product but you previously stated you had had rather in depth discussions with Pam and H&H about it. If I am asking you things that you just don’t know please let me know. I am certainly not trying to put on the spot or get you to make claims about the product that you cannot reasonably do. I am already impressed with how nice leather feels after the first application.

I apply only enough to get coverage, so it dries pretty quickly that way. Yes, you ALWAYS have to clean first, never wax or polish or condition over dirt. That can be a car finish, a hardwood floor, or leather upholstery. Gotta have that clean surface to work on.

Most people have concerns their pets or eating on the leather will damage it and lead to a shortened life span. In my experience (and I've been doing this since 1986) the # 1 cause of failure of leather upholstery is failure to keep it clean and conditioned on a regular basis. The # 2 reason is direct sun exposure with no UV blockers on the windows - and the color blows out. Stay on top of those two things, and your leather sofa can go 40 years plus. Ignore them, and it may be due for replacement in as quickly as 10 years.
    Duane Collie

How many ounces in your bottle of softener for 32.00 and how much would shipping be? Thanks!

That's an 8 oz bottle, and shipping is whatever the USPS charges to a given zip code. I can't say for sure until its packed up with an address to go to.
    Duane Collie

Leather Solutions International products are superb for other types of leather, too. Here I have just done a treatment on my much-loved Allen Edmonds boots which are made with Horween Chromexcel leather- which is a terrific hide that comes out of an old-world Chicago tannery. Its too stiff for a furniture covering and won't drape for upholstery use, but its a top-tier pull-up shoe leather.

NEVER USE SHOE WAX on a hide like this, its pure aniline, shoe wax is for finished leathers.

So its Kit # 4 for the boots, which has cleaner/softener/pull up cream / pull up oil. Makes the boots look brand new again, and I am not easy on these. I wear then unloading trucks and unpacking furniture, in the rain, riding my motorcycle, wherever.....keep them treated at least every 6 months and they will look good for a long time. This treatment completely rejuvenated the hide and makes the boots look almost like new again.

And if you are a leather enthusiast like I am, you will enjoy the story of Horween Chromexcel which you can read about here: https://www.horween.com/blog/2010/03...mexcel%C2%AE-2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0184.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	11463
    Duane Collie

Well, I ended up taking your word for it about the leather solutions on protected leather, despite what H&M's warranty and care information stated, and ordered it from you. I was happy with the results of the first application. Interestingly, I received a kit from H&M several months after receiving my sofa, containing just the cleaner and protectant. I guess that is a pretty good endorsement, although it still seems strange to say one thing in writing and then send something else to use. They did say they don't recommend using the conditioner until the piece is a year old. I am sure it won't harm it, they probably just don't think it is necessary as the hide is unlikely to start drying out that fast. I will share with you that I did try to eat a calzone with a dish of dipping sauce on my new sofa while watching one of my favorite shows, and the bowl of dipping sauce slipped off the dish, hit the floor on the rug between the sofa and new side table. It splattered on the arm and side of the sofa. I cleaned it up right away, wiping down the sofa first, then the wood table, and then spent and hour cleaning the rug. The sofa was like new again, no damage at all. Maybe it was the protected leather, maybe the leather solutions helped a bit as well. The rug did not fare as well. I was happy that I had already used the leather solutions once. It couldn't have hurt. Oy, didn't know I could move that fast any more, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Leather Solutions International products are superb for other types of leather, too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0184.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	11463
    Mr. Collie,
    I recently tried to purchase some of the leather cleaner and conditioner from the Leather Solutions website and I've not received any information regarding shipping of my order. It has been nearly three weeks and my CC has been charged and they're not responding to emails or phone calls I realize you aren't their customer service line, but was wondering if you'd had any trouble with ordering from them recently? Seems like you've been in relatively regular contact.

Thank you.

I don't know what to tell you, sorry.

I can tell you that when you buy from my store - the price is the same and I ship same day via USPS Priority Mail if before noon.
    Duane Collie