Thread: Very disappointed

JLandrie Guest

Default Very disappointed

After much research and a few sleepless nights I finally decided on which Hancock and Moore products I wanted to purchase. I ended up getting a Journey sofa and two Journey recliners. Upon delivery I noticed that the back cushion on one of the recliners wasnt filled properly (not enough stuffing for lack of a better description). It looked nothing like the other matching recliner. Also noticed the same issue with the back cushions on the sofa with one of the three cushions being much worse than the other two but all three were not right. Called the place where I purchased the furniture, sent them pictures as they requested. Both they and their H and M rep agreed these were valid warranty issues. H and M rep ordered new inserts for the recliner and sofa. Today the store sent staff out to replace the inserts only to discover that the inserts are sewn in ie cant just be pulled out and replaced. Now the proposed solution is to transport my sofa and recliner to a local upholsterer (supposedly one approved by H and M) to have them tear my recliner and sofa back cushions apart and reconstruct them with the new inserts. Is this really what I should expect as a resolution to issues with $14,000 worth of furniture? I am very unhappy at this point and extremely disappointed in this furniture. Oh and the local upholsterer is so busy that he cant work on my furniture for at least 6 weeks.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their Hancock and Moore furniture?
    Last edited by JLandrie; 03-30-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Default Re: Very disappointed

Ahhh....that's correct. The Journey series does not have zippers so cushion core replacement does require detachment and re-sew. How far away are you from Hickory NC? The very best solution is to get them back to H&M where Jimmy Moore will get them EXACTLY the way you want them. I can guarantee that. having a local person do it is a bit of a crapshoot. Cushion core fill is very much a personal preference sort of thing, some folks like then solidly filled, other's a more loose fill so they form a pocket for comfort. I've been down their road many times before with customers, and we always get the best results when it goes back to the factory and ideally the consumer is there with the furniture explaining to Jimmy exactly what they would like.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

JLandrie Guest

We are not all that far away from Hickory NC, we live outside of Atlanta, GA. Thank you for your advice, I truly appreciate it! I will pose that solution to the store manager who is attempting to handle these issues.

Yes, its under a 4 hour drive for you. My suggestion would be (and I know its a bit of a pain) to grab a rental truck and take them up there yourself, and to make sure Jimmy Moore is there the day you go. They'll unload you and Jimmy will spend some time with you getting it exactly the way you like. If you go early in the morning, there's a chance they can do it while you wait, or take one of the famous tours to see how its made, grab some lunch in town and might be ready later that day. Then they can load you up and you can bring them back. If they need more time, they'll box them back up a day or two later and ship them back to your selling dealer who can then bring them to you. That's what I would do, I know it will cost you a day in a rental truck, but it will take all the headache out of it and get done right the first time. Good luck.
    Duane Collie

JLandrie Guest

Thank you, we may just do that. How would I get in touch with the right people at H and M to make the arrangements? In looking at their website I can't even find a phone number for them?

Do that through your selling dealer, make sure to take it as early in the day as you can, Mon through Thurs, and when Jimmy Moore is on-site and available. Good luck.
    Duane Collie

JLandrie Guest

Unfortunately my selling dealer won't give me that information. What a mess, but thank you for your advice!

What do you mean? They won't set that up for you to do that? What is their rationale for that? I will PM you a direct contact person.
    Duane Collie

This story is certainly not what I would predict or expect when purchasing three H&M furniture pieces. Very unusual to have a significant issue with two out of three pieces. Wish the corrective action part of the situation didn't include a secondary surprise with the mitigation effort 'discovering' no zippers. The process clearly should have been able to identify which Sofa Style was purchased and included a notification of the need for upholstery work. That part of the process should have had the dealer explaining to the customer exactly what needed to be done, arranged for pickup, rework and re-delivery. Hopefully the Dealer didn't just refuse to give H&M Contact information, but rather was offering to fully take control of an expedited resolution.