Thread: Hancock & Moore Your Way Leather Sectional

oaklandhills Guest

Default Hancock & Moore Your Way Leather Sectional

I'm very interested in H&M's Your Way leather sectional, but haven't seen much posted here about this particular sofa. Given the vast knowledge of the posters in this forum, I thought I'd post my numerous questions here to see if I can gain some insight/advice. Our Sherrill Whitmore Ltd leather sofa, chair and ottoman are approaching 25 years in a 2-adult, no pets household and we'd love to get 20 years from our new H&M sectional. Thank you in advance for your help!

Our Your Way sofa specs:
    34 = RAC (120.5") + 21 = LAF Loveseat (56")
    Standard Depth Cushions
    TS = Track Arm w/Straight Cushion without Nails
    BS = Square Box Border
    T = Tapered Leg
    No Welts = Optional upgrade

Additional Comments:
    1. I'm 5'4" and my husband is 5'11".
    2. This is the primary seating in our house and we eat almost all of our meals on our sofa.
    3. Although we have no kids/pets, hubby is a messy eater.
    4. This sectional will be in front of windows, but windows have wood blinds and are closed during the day and only open occasionally on weekends.
    5. We don't like pooling in cushions and prefer firmer seating with good support.
    6. We've sat on an ultra down cushion in a Your Way sectional (standard depth in Kip Pyramid), an ultradown cushion in a leather City sofa and a standard Qualex cushion in a leather Austin sofa with bustle back.

Questions for Forum members:
    1. We hated the ultradown cushions in the Your Way leather sectional at the store (cushions felt too flat and didn't provide enough support), but loved the ultradown cushion in the leather City sofa. Is this a function of the sofa style, i.e. City vs. Your Way?
    2. Since we prefer firmer seating (both seat and back cushions), should we ordering 21oz cushions for our Your Way cushions, even though we've never sat on anything but standard Qualex or ultradown?
    3. Has anyone sat on H&M's memory foam cushions? We love our memory foam mattress and would be willing to pay the upcharge for memory foam cushions. We often nap on our sofa and it's not unusual to sit on the sofa for 3+ hours at a time.
    4. Our favorite sofa by far is the leather Austin sofa with bustle. However, that style just doesn't fit our house.
    5. The sample Your Way sectional we saw was made with Kip Pyramid. We liked the color a lot, but want a higher leather class (either class 2 or 3). Are there similar colors in class 2 or class 3?
    6. I find samples quite baffling and didn't recognize the Kip Pyramid leather sample as the one on the Your Way leather sectional we saw on the showroom floor!
    7. The closest I could find to Kip Pyramid in the class 2 samples I saw was Document Dream Fawn, but I've read prior forum posts and know it's best to avoid the Document line.

If you made it this far, thank you so much for reading my very long post. Any tips/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Your Way Leather Sectional

I have not bought into the 'Your Way' program from H&M, so my knowledge of it is limited to seeing them quickly at Market and them moving on.

* Ultra Down cores are softer and more plush across the line.
    * You can try the 21 oz cushions, but if they are too firm you will have to pay to get a different core.
    * I have never sold a memory foam cushions - if you go that way let us know how it works out.
    * Why do you want a higher class leather? Those classes are PRICE GROUPS, it has nothing to do with quality / performance of the hide over time. If you like Kip, stay with it!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

oaklandhills Guest

Hi Duane, thanks for responding to my post.

In reviewing some of your prior forum posts related to H&M leather choices, it sounded like class 2 or class 3 leathers were a better choice, because the hides are less processed and have a better feel?

If it's not too much trouble, could you tell me which colors are the most similar to Kip Pyramid in a class 2 or class 3 leather?

Also, do you have any idea why the City ultradown cushion sat so differently than the Your Way ultradown cushion? The Your Way sectional has been on the showroom floor for less than 3 weeks, while the City has been there for over six months. I know you don't carry the Your Way pieces but I thought you might have a few thoughts based on your extensive history with H&M.

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by oaklandhills; 03-31-2015 at 06:11 PM.

There is a general correlation to nicer leather when you spend more (higher price grade) but its not absolute.

Sorry, I don't have time to pull a color and go through the 443 leathers for color matches. You can do that yourself at your local dealer or try to do it from the H&M website.

Ultradown cushions cores are the same across the board. Different FRAMES will have a different feel to them, however.
    Duane Collie

oaklandhills Guest

Hi Duane,

Hoping you can clear up a question for me regarding the dimensions for the Your Way sectional consisting of pieces RAC (#34) and LAF (#21). Can you please confirm that pieces 34 and 21 result in a sectional that's 120.5 x 97?

I'm confused because the Your Way order form shows the RAC (#34) as 120.5" and the LAF (#21) as 56." I believe each seat on a sectional is approx. 23", so 56+23 =79". However, I think you said the RAC (#34) would be 97".

Thanks,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Your Way Order Form.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	7171Julie

Hi Julie,

On the sectional, the -21 unit is 56" long plus the depth of the opposing piece, which is 40.5" on standard depth = 96.5". I think you were using inside depth to compute.
    Duane Collie