Thread: New to the forum with questions

Curry Guest

Default New to the forum with questions

An introduction with questions. It's taken me awhile to be able to post. I ended up having to reregister. Duane was very helpful getting me get set up and answering some furniture questions at the same time.

Yesterday we had the chance to actually sit in some H&M furniture. The closest dealer is quite a drive for us. We sat in a Tavern Sofa, Sundance Sofa, City Sofa as well as their respective chairs. Also a couple of other random chairs.

The Sundance sofa was stunning but my wife's feet dangled when she sat. The City sofa was so so for us comfort wise. Then we sat in he Tavern Sofa. Wow. It was incredibly comfortable for both of us. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'5". The seat height was great and the higher armrests worked great for us. It was a winner for sure.

We started the mission looking for two matching chairs. Nothing that we sat in from H&M was that great for me. The best was the Sundance chair but even it was not great. The dealer we were at also carried Stickley. I ended up wandering over and sitting in a Leopold chair. It fit me great. I liked the tufted tight seat a lot. I emailed Duane while trying to get my forum account squared away so I could post. He recommended the Raymond chair. I like the style.

My questions. Are two tufted chairs and a tufted sofa too much tufted stuff in one room? Has anyone sat in a Raymond chair, and how was the comfort? Even better can you compare the Raymond chair to the Stickley Leopold chair?

Thank you in advance.

Ci2Eye Guest

Default Re: New to the forum with questions

There seem to be few hard and fast rules for furniture today. It is very common to mix different styles and eras together so I don't think you'd be breaking a rule but personally I'd mix it up a bit. If you are going with a tufted sofa and a highly tufted chair like the Leopold (which I like too), I think I'd go with a plain or maybe channel back chair to augment it. That's just me though; I think you can do whatever you want.

Curry Guest

Another question.

Will a sofa with similar dimensions offer similar comfort and feel ie:seat height, arm height, seat depth etc?

hglaber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ci2Eye View Post
    I think I'd go with a plain or maybe channel back chair to augment it. That's just me though; I think you can do whatever you want.
    I'd be on the other side of the coin - use the tufting as to tie the pieces together, then changing up other elements. In other words, if everything is tufted, don't use the same leather and nails and color. Instead, go with three different leathers, maybe in three different (but obviously complimentary) colors too, and let the tufting hold it all together. Or you could do similar colors, say three browns, but one burnished, one pull-up, and one more uniform but with great hand feel.

strofferazo Guest

I'm not a designer but in my humble opinion I think the Tavern sofa and the Stickley Leopold chair would be too much for one room. And two tufted chairs with a tufted sofa - I wouldn't do it. I, also, LOVE the Leopold chair and had considered buying it in their herringbone fabric to go with my Sundance sofa but I decided against it.