Thread: Need Long Lasting quality furniture - suggestions please

pacerwaala Guest

Default Need Long Lasting quality furniture - suggestions please

Hello

I am new to this forum and am drowning with all the information that is available. I am looking for living room furniture. I want to buy it and not worry about them for a few years 15-20 years. I want a sofa with a chaise at the end to stretch my legs. The main thing for me is not to worry about frames breaking, cushions sagging, foam losing its stiffness, etc. I live in Metro Detroit.

At some local stores, I have looked at the following furniture - Mitchell Gold Bob Williams, Norwalk Furniture, Decorest (Candian company), Klausner. I liked something in Norwalk but not sure if it is of good quality. The sales person for Norwalk did say that -

1 - the springs in Norwalk are 8 way machine tied.
    2 - the Norwalk furniture frame is made of engineered hardwood and has a lifetime warranty
    3 - the foam has a lifetime warranty
    3 - Engineered hardwood is better construction than solid wood.

Needless to say, I am confused and not sure what and whom to trust. Can some of you experts kindly chime in and suggest good quality furniture brands that will last me a while and is worth re-upholstering. As I mentioned, I want a sofa with a chaise at the end to stretch my legs - preferably, the cushion or back is a single piece than split into pillows.

The main thing for me is not to worry about frames breaking, cushions sagging, foam losing its stiffness, etc. Please help/guide.

Regards

Raavango

Default Re: Need Long Lasting quality furniture - suggestions please

I googled Norwalk Furniture Reviews. Results were unsettling. Suggest you do further research.

Default Re: Need Long Lasting quality furniture - suggestions please

A couple things to point out for you.

* 8 Way suspension is ALWAYS hand-tied. No machine can do it.
    * "Engineered Hardwood" is a fancy name for Plywood. Plywood is never as good as solid wood for a frame, it twists more
    * Logically, do you really think plywood is superior to solid hardwood? Question that one....

Get leather and you will never have to re-upholseter it in your lifetime if you follow the care procedures for the leather. Most fabric is done within a decade or less.

Best bang for the buck in fabric that I know of is Taylor King Portfolio collection. Best dollar value on leather that I carry is probably McKinley Leather.

Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.