Thread: Advice on swivel, rocker recliner

hershann Guest

Default Advice on swivel, rocker recliner

Any advice on a good swivel, rocker, recliner. I probably need to stick with fabric and have been looking at the BY Lakin with skirt. I am leaning towards a small scale and will probably want to purchase two identical chairs. I want something made in the USA that would be comfortable to sit in front of the fireplace. I think the recliner function would be nice and eliminate the need for an ottoman, but I need the swivel because we discovered our dog is afraid of the swivel movement and won't get near a chair that swivels. Any advice on this or other brands I should be researching is appreciated.

Default Re: Advice on swivil, rocker recliner

You will be fine with the Bradington Young, but to be quite honest - in 26 years as a dealer for them I have only ever sold three of their recliners in fabric. On all motion pieces regardless of manufacturer there is much more friction with the use of the recliner and that leads to fabric wear. Most recliners in fabric that are used on a regular basis will require an upholstery recover in 5 years - and that can run half again as much as the price of the piece. Leather isn't subject to that friction wear and will give you a cover lifespan that should be equal to the usable life of the chair. Just a data point for you in making your selection choices.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

strofferazo Guest

I was browsing at a furniture store this weekend and sat in a leather swivel/rocker/recliner by Bradington Young. It was a Grade 3 leather, and as soft as a cloud. When I first sat down - I absolutely loved it. Then I tried to lower the foot part of the recliner, and the trouble started! I could not get it to close. The saleslady sat in it and also could not get it to close. When she tried to lower the mechanism, the chair cushion actually got in the WAY and you could see plain as day it was not going to work. I also noticed that the frame - which was wrapped in the leather also (the part that you could see when the reclining mechanism was fully extended) was badly scratched because apparently when it closes it was being rubbed on one side, either leather on leather or maybe metal on leather. This was priced at $2600 but not sure which chair model it was.

Quote Originally Posted by strofferazo View Post
    I was browsing at a furniture store this weekend and sat in a leather swivel/rocker/recliner by Bradington Young. It was a Grade 3 leather, and as soft as a cloud. When I first sat down - I absolutely loved it. Then I tried to lower the foot part of the recliner, and the trouble started! I could not get it to close. The saleslady sat in it and also could not get it to close. When she tried to lower the mechanism, the chair cushion actually got in the WAY and you could see plain as day it was not going to work. I also noticed that the frame - which was wrapped in the leather also (the part that you could see when the reclining mechanism was fully extended) was badly scratched because apparently when it closes it was being rubbed on one side, either leather on leather or maybe metal on leather. This was priced at $2600 but not sure which chair model it was.
    Read this thread.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...nique-Question
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

strofferazo Guest

Thanks for the info. I am 5'2 so that may explain the difficulty in closing it. Definitely would not work for me unless it was a power unit!

My 4 10 wife couldn't close the BY either. No problem with H&M. If they both use the same quality Legget Platt mechanism, I would expect they would close the same. H&M., closes so well, especially their streamlined models. Interesting about the dog, my small dog loves to jump on our rocker, and clearly enjoys the movement.