Thread: IDL rating of H&M foam

Default IDL rating of H&M foam

(I meant ILD) I know that this question is only slightly related to furniture, but this forum helped us so much a six years ago as related to our H&M sofa purchase that I came over to this forum from the RV forums to seek advice....

We need to replace the foam in our RV dinette cushions. As in most RV's I guess, the cushions are simply foam resting on plywood. However, I am in over my head trying to decide which foam to purchase. I have studied enough to realize that since I am a heavy guy we probably want a high resilience foam with a density of over 2.0lbs/cubic foot, and an ILD of near 50...in other words very firm.

To decide exactly what I need I thought I would determine the density and ILD of the foam in our H&M sofa. When we ordered our H&M sofa, we ordered a Journal Sofa with heavy duty upgrade and firm cushions. I assume from reading this forum that our cushions are 21oz...is the density of the foam? What would the ILD be for the H&M foam?

Like I mentioned, I would merely like to match the H&M foam with the foam that I purchase for my RV. The RV cushions are 5" thick. I have found several online retailers of foam sheets from which I could cut cushions, but I wonder if the statements that they make about the density weight and ILD are true. I tried to find a retailer that sold Dupont Qualux, which you stated is the foam used by H&M but could not find one. Thank you for any advice you can offer!
    Last edited by dchandler; 04-30-2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Default Re: IDL rating of H&M foam

HA! Well, you are past my expertise on that one. I put a call into H&M and there is one person there that can probably give some guidance, but it will be next week before they can respond. I'll let you know if I come up with a finding.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane! I will check back here. I wish I could find foam just like that used by H&M, who is sending me new foam in a week or two because the firm foam that came in our H&M sofa is finally beginning to break down....and like you have stated here on the forum they are replacing it for free. The leather is still very good but the cushion is going a bit flat on the front... But in all fairness I am in the 400lb range, use this sofa several hours a day, and these six year old cushions and sofa have outlasted every other sofa we have purchased by three or four years....and the frame is still tight!! I am very well pleased with H&M!! Now if I can get a similar foam in our RV it will last for years.

Roberta Hoyle Guest

Hi Duane!

I am not sure if this is the info you need but maybe it will help!
    BTW...Thanks for the order you just faxed!

The foam specs for Hancock & Moore cushions are as follows:

Standard: 2.3 density with a target 17 lb. ILD.

Ultra-down : 2.5 density with a target 17 lb. ILD

Extra Firm Standard: 2.5 density with a target 27 lb. ILD. ( we can order cushions as firm as 31 , 41, and 55 lb. ILD’s but the 41 and 55 lb. ILD will be very firm)

Extra-Firm Ultra-down: 1.8 density with target ILD of 21lbs. and up ( depending on customer preference)

Backs: Don’t have an ILD or density for fiber plush or ultra- down backs. Usually ordered as standard, extra-firm, and extra-extra firm… With a firmer seat, we definitely would recommend a firmer back to compliment the firm seat.

Hope this helps...
    I have more very detailed info on ILD rating and density I can send if you or anyone would be interested.

Have a great evening!
    "Berta"

FYI, Roberta is in the customer service dept. at Hancock & Moore - THANK YOU! Glad you are here on the forum (be nice to Roberta, ya'll)
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

THANKS! To both Duane and Roberta! That will help me out! As we ordered X Firm Standard foam for our H&M sofa I assume that our foam has an ILD of about 27...which is lower than I expected but also shows how very good foam has an effect on the comfort and firm feel....as compared to other foams with similar density but higher ILD ratings. Thanks again Roberta! Information is like gold so any information about the foam that you guys use is appreciated.