Thread: High Back Hancock and Moore Sofa? Kodiak? Austin High Back?

elcrox Guest

Default High Back Hancock and Moore Sofa? Kodiak? Austin High Back?

My husband and I went to the high end furniture store to try out leather sofas. We are new to leather sofas, but have read a lot on this forum. Frustratingly, the store used coded price tags that did not list the manufacturer forcing us to ask. Most of the sofas were too hard/firm and did not offer enough support for our head/shoulders, i.e., they were uncomfortable so we did not bother to ask who made them. The only one that felt really comfortable was the H&M Austin Highback. But I didn't love the style and the leather it was shown in was reddish and shiny and didn't feel as natural as we would like. (I kept expecting the softness of my calf skin or deer skin purse but none of the showroom sofas were like that.) I understand we can customize the leather, but I still don't love the look of the Austin High Back. (Husband thinks it's "okay" lookiing.) Looking online, the H&M Kodiak looks like it has a high back. (Don't know if the store had it to try.) Can anyone comment on the comfort of the Kodiak or suggest other models with high backs? I'm 5'8" and my husband is 6' tall. Thanks very much.

Default Re: Hi Back Hancock and Moore Sofa? Kodiak? Austin High Back?

I have sat on a Kodiak sofa before. I am 5'8" and it was very comfortable. It was also a grade IV leather so I'm sure that that made it even more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by elcrox View Post
    My husband and I went to the high end furniture store to try out leather sofas. We are new to leather sofas, but have read a lot on this forum. Frustratingly, the store used coded price tags that did not list the manufacturer forcing us to ask. Most of the sofas were too hard/firm and did not offer enough support for our head/shoulders, i.e., they were uncomfortable so we did not bother to ask who made them. The only one that felt really comfortable was the H&M Austin Highback. But I didn't love the style and the leather it was shown in was reddish and shiny and didn't feel as natural as we would like. (I kept expecting the softness of my calf skin or deer skin purse but none of the showroom sofas were like that.) I understand we can customize the leather, but I still don't love the look of the Austin High Back. (Husband thinks it's "okay" lookiing.) Looking online, the H&M Kodiak looks like it has a high back. (Don't know if the store had it to try.) Can anyone comment on the comfort of the Kodiak or suggest other models with high backs? I'm 5'8" and my husband is 6' tall. Thanks very much.

JG500 Guest

I have a Kodiak sofa and loveseat, GR4 Capri. It's def a high sofa, I'm 5'10 and it's very comfortable. The Kodiak is definitely in the comfort sofa category, along with the Journey and Austin. Is the Kodiak as comfortable as a high back Austin? Probably not, but not much else is...so kind of a moot point. Style comes second with the Austin, comfort being the primary.

You guys are good...I was going to recommend the 9103 Kodiak as well. I think it sits as well as the Austin in the seat - if not better - and gives up a little in the back comfort due to the single pillow vs the 2-unit bustle back of the Austin. Folks that buy the Kodiak are never disappointed. It's a good, safe selection when not seen in person.

The leather on the Austin was no doubt Cavalier Oxblood as that's the promotional hide. Interesting fact about the Austin - it was the very first sofa ever made at Hancock & Moore 46 years ago and it is still the # 1 seller in the line today. In spite of not being the most stylish of the sofas, it has remained a customer favorite over the decades. My typical Austin customer that comes in the showroom says "I love the way that sits, but don't like the style". Then they move onto all the other sofas I have in the store and leave to go shop other stores and brands. Then they come back the next week and buy the Austin.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

hglaber Guest

As an Austin chair owner, I'll tell you a couple of other (personal opinion) things - once in the house, the look grows on you. The little curve in the front and how the cushion follows it, the nice tailoring of the "wings" on the back - it doesn't have a lot of showroom flash, but it is a nice piece after a long look. The knife edge cushion turned me off most at first, but it also means no piping at the front top of the seat where it always wears first. If people could see ten year old furniture in a showroom, I bet they would double their Austin sales.

Also, everyone that comes in the house says "oooh look at that comfy chair!" and makes a beeline to the Austin. My Sadler right next to it (which I think most will agree is also a great chair, and in a much more attention-grabbing portfolio claret) might as well be a crooked tree stump. Nobody has said "what an ugly chair" in my house. It attracts them like politicians attract money. And many of these aren't polite company either, but close friends and family that would LOVE to say "HAHAHA that's ugly! How much did you lay out for that, you bonehead?"

That said, I have tried the Austin, the Kodiac, and the Journey in-store briefly, and can't imagine anyone being disappointed in any of them. I like the sit on the Journey best personally (and I bet it's the best afternoon napper), I like the looks of the Kodiac the best of these, but I'd take any one of the three if I had the cash and the space, especially in something other than Cavalier which wouldn't be my first choice. Austins look a lot different in different leathers, much more so I think than some other pieces.

elcrox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hglaber View Post
    As an Austin chair owner, I'll tell you a couple of other (personal opinion) things .......
    Thanks, hglaber. Those are helpful comments. The Austin is growing on me and I agree that the choice of leather does change the look (from what I have seen in googling pix of it.) I will check out the Journey as well. Thanks!

karlos Guest

Cool Re: High Back Hancock and Moore Sofa? Kodiak? Austin High Back?

I have the Kodiak antelope harness awesome sofa with robinson ottoman and Idaho lounger... works for us all well... The Capri would be my next choice of leather as the finish of the antelope gets worn on the cushions over time. still looks great and sits good. AS I camp out on this 787 of a sofa as our Seattle winters are kind of soggy.... Duane I need a sofa for living room that never gets used. any fabric specials that sit good. Taylor King? etc,,, I would prefer leather but other half would say fabric...as no one sits there. ON a side note I am reducing fire retardant foams in the house as ca. finally banned prop 17... like getting rid of beds that have them . can we get the cushions from Hancock Moore that are free from fire retardants. Thanks, Karl

elcrox Guest

Default Re: High Back Hancock and Moore Sofa? Kodiak? Austin High Back?

Quote Originally Posted by karlos View Post
    I have the Kodiak antelope harness

Thanks. I liked the antelope harness, as well, but was thinking of an unprotected leather. It's helpful to hear your comments.

Yes, Antelope can show wear as its a finished, or painted leather and the paint coating on it is very, very light to keep it soft and supple. I'd say buy a fabric sofa that no one sits on based on style, and probably you can find something local for inexpensive rather than paying shipping from North Carolina to Washington State.

Cushions and fire retardants are a mess. I put a post out on this not too long ago:

As of July 2014, Hancock and Moore has removed all fire retardant from their cushion cores and all chemicals. This is pretty much the industry standard at this time. California keeps changing the spec on Proposition 65, and the 2013 Tech Bulletin 117 is the current standard, in which manufacturers can use fire retardant, but it has to be disclosed. H&M, and many other makers elected to just eliminate it entirely - so that's where we are at on it. Leather is a very effective fire retardant in and of itself, and in fabrics versions of the upholstery it will have a fiber barrier layer as many fabrics are flammable. Apparently this is one of those 'moving target' issues where the laws and regulations in California are in a constant state of flux and the industry has to try to keep up.

However, there will still be disclosure warning labels on all H&M products shipping into California, and that is due to the nail trim. There is some lead used in the brass nails and though it will not leech, and no one is going to digest the nails, they must put the warnings on due to that. If that is a concern then you can always order a piece with a nail delete.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Austin High Back Tilt Back chair for the win! NOTHING BETTER!