My Hancock & Moore sales rep was in the store yesterday and told me THE KEEPING ROOM is the Top Performing Dealer in the State of Virginia.

I was very excited to hear that, because there are some heavy hitters that move a lot of product in the entire state, including stores that have 100 times the square footage I do (not an exaggeration) and way more buying power than I do. I attribute that to my enthusiasm for the brand, they really do build the finest leather upholstery in America today. I think other stores that feature H&M are too quick to go down-market when a customer asks 'It cost HOW MUCH?'. They cave and show them something less costly, fearful the customer will walk. Not me - when someone says that in my store, I show them WHY it costs more, and what they are getting for their money, and I do that by walking them through the build on the sales floor vs other makers product. That doesn't convince everyone, but it does build their educational database and show them what to look for. Usually they return to my store, armed with that new-found knowledge and select the H&M brand because they see other pieces can't measure up.

The trend in furniture buying was super-high quality in the 80's and 90's, then the decade of 2000's, it was to buy throw-away, minimal cash outlay product. About two years ago the pendulum swung back the other way and now folks want the quality again, weary of poor-performing cheap furniture that fails quicker than expected, and I'm seeing this from the customers in their 20's and 30's who have to stretch a bit to buy in this category.

I don't sell Chinese or Mexican-made upholstery, all in my store is USA-made because really and truly - WE DO IT BETTER in this country than the other guys. And Hancock & Moore is the best of the best, and its never hard to sell the best.