Thread: Color coordinating

LoveSun Guest

Default Color coordinating

Hi All,

What a great forum!! Just discovered it yesterday.

In 2006, we bought a 83" City sofa in Document Chestnut.

Now we want to get a Chair and a Half with Ottoman. (amount of leather surface equals the sofa).

We are decorator challenged. It took us probably 6-8 weeks to choose the Document Chestnut.

With all Duane's info on this forum, we probably would have stayed away from the Document. When possible, we prefer European sourcing to Chinese (given labor practices, animal husbandry, tanning practices, etc).

I wish our sales person had clarified that although the pieces are US made, the leather can be sourced elsewhere. Well, it takes 2 to tango and we didn't ask. Live and learn.

We have an ACTIVE 6 year old boy (who has done some damage to the city). So serviceability is a must. Duane suggested exploring Antelope, Auburn, and Equestrian as serviceable Class 3s. (http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=219)

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=226
    Muhmuckel said, "...but different shades of brown will come out look nice as well. I would be careful so it does not look like you tried to get a match and failed."

So I started my trek to find a complimentary, yet not too matchy color to Document Chestnut.
    I went to Hancock and Moore's site and downloaded jpg files to get a better view of leather colors.

Do you all think Antelope Rust for the chair/ottoman would be too much like "we tried to get a match and failed?"

How the heckito do we do this???

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! I've already answered many of your questions in an email , so I won't repeat them here, but there are only two hides in H&M that come from Chinese tanneries and they are Document and Cavalier. I personally will go out of my way to buy products that are not from China and Vietnam, even if they cost more to source elsewhere. And I carry no furniture made in those two countries in my store.

Antelope is going to be a more elegant leather and readily apparent when you walk into the room. While you may color-match to Document, its going to easily be seen as richer, and more luxurious to the eye. There will not be a texture match at all.

If you want to match Document Chestnut, then the match is <drumroll> Document Chestnut! <G>

If you want to contrast and like variety, then you can move into some of the other leathers and have some fun with it. To keep the price down, look at Colombia or Federal, both grade 1's. In grade 2's you have Berkshire, Rancho, Caress, and others.
    All of these will appear different than Document, however - so its whether you want a matched look or will be happy with a contrasting leather.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

LoveSun Guest

Default Color matching

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Ite elegant leather and readily apparent when you walk into the room. While you may color-match to Document, its going to easily be seen as richer, and more luxurious to the eye. There will not be a texture match at all.

If you want to match Document Chestnut, then the match is <drumroll> Document Chestnut! <G>

I'm okay with it being different. Not looking for a match (any more - not like when I first emailed). Antelope seems neat - luxurious to eye as well as nice to touch.

My question is more whether Antelope Rust is too close to Document Chestnut. MuhPucknel was saying various browns can look nice as long as they are not too close - like a failed attempt at a match.

If you want to contrast and like variety, then you can move into some of the other leathers and have some fun with it. To keep the price down, look at Colombia or Federal, both grade 1's. In grade 2's you have Berkshire, Rancho, Caress, and others.
    All of these will appear different than Document, however - so its whether you want a matched look or will be happy with a contrasting leather.

Will check those out. Don't want a match, but not sure how to do a hard contrast in leather (think - black & white; red & blue; pink & kelly green).
    Thanks again