Thread: Gunn Furniture Barrister 3 Window Bookcase

auctionjunkie Guest

Default Gunn Furniture Barrister 3 Window Bookcase

I found this in my cellar, the sticker under the top of this says Gunn Furniture with instructions on how to put it together. It also says patent applied for so I assume it is prior to 1910. I have another piece that used these types of clips to hold the wood together and it was made around 1904. Anyone know when Gunn got the patent for the barrister bookcase? That would give me a good idea when this was made. I have all the pieces minus the backing because it got warped since the basement got wet. I am trying to made something that is similar even though I know it will lose value but all the other pieces are there! All the glass is good and original as well as the metal to put the glass fronts on....

Here are a couple crappy pictures from my webcam, I was hoping 3rd time is a charm here. No one has been able to tell me anything about my other pieces so hopefully someone will know about this company.

Thanks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JANICE - WIN_20150512_132035.JPG 
Views:	331 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	7207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JANICE - WIN_20150512_131929.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	7208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JANICE - WIN_20150512_133046.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	7209  

auctionjunkie Guest

Default Re: Gunn Furniture Barrister 3 Window Bookcase

Sorry the pictures are so hard to see but you can clearly see in the 3rd one it says, "patent applied for" and in the first it is hard to see but the clips are to the right of the picture which again I believe they were used prior to 1910 but I could be wrong...

Thanks again

auctionjunkie Guest

Default Re: Gunn Furniture Barrister 3 Window Bookcase

Nevermind friends, I believe I found the date to be between 1924 and it was granted in 1929 so I think it was made in between that time. They started shipping them in pieces in 1924 with the patent for collapsable and easy to assemble bookcases in 1924. Pretty cool since now everything is shipped that way! I would rather have this than the first one ever made!! I think it's one of the cooler pieces that I have! It also makes it very easy to take apart and refinish then put it back together....This was the start of what has now become the normal in the country and abroad! I think it's pretty cool since it was before the patent for this was even granted.....What do you guys think it is worth done and refinished with everything original except the backing? I have 2 backing pieces that aren't warped which I will use and 1 I have to make to look similar or as perfect as I can, not an easy task at all..