Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: H&M and BY questions on comfortable sofas

carmela39 Guest

Duane,
    We both sat in the September today and concluded, this is it!

Both just decided we prefer the camel back look so sectional is out...
    I know you said that you can't tell the cut and sewn in China vs US but it still bothers me...you know using their labor and not ours...Valley Furn shop in NJ told me if I choose doc copper in town and country that will be cut and sewn in China and that the other docs are also cut and sewn in China but there is an upcharge for color change? What???
    I thought you told me and others on this forum that I can still get Doc copper sewn in NC but there is an upcharge for that.
    Can you confirm? Do you really think if I like Doc copper I should go with the married cover since that's the best price without sacrificing quality?

I will PM you four or five leathers we really liked.Maybe I can get samples to look at again. DH does not like the uniformity of some of the leathers but I thought once it's pulled it may have some variations rather than look like a painted wall. But maybe in the ones we liked that is true.
    Thanks again for your help.

moraf Guest

Question

Hi Duane,

My husband and I decided to purchase a leather sofa for our new den (the last of our 4 children have moved out). We have learned so much from reading all of your responses as well as input from members.

We are both tall and would like a deep comfortable sofa. We like the down back cushions and are willing to upgrade from the program leather. We have been able to sit in the September, Kodiac, Sundance, and Evening sofas. We are going to check out one more store that carries the Journey and Journal.

Sales people in the stores discouraged us from getting down back cushions because they said they are messy looking and will need replacing in a few years. I don't mind the messy look as long as it is comfortable. Do you agree with them?

I liked the look of the September but found that there was a gap in the lower back when we sat in it. Is there a reason that it does that? We would have to put a pillow at our lower back to be comfortable. Any suggestions? Would down back cushions solve the problem?

The Kodiac and Evening were not as deep but were comfortable. The Sundance was deep enough but it will go against a wall.

I love the Capri Butternut for all of the sofas. The Sundance comes in an Equastrian Chestnut as part of the program.

Could you please give us some feedback on these sofas for comfort and the leather choice? Also will they all work well with down back cushions?

If you can give us some prices we would like to give you the business.

Thanks

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

I'm familiar with all the styles you are looking at, and they are all popular frames.

Ultradown cushions CAN (and many do) drift downwards due to gravity, and they look a sloppy when that happens. The Ultradown is actually a sleeve of down/feathers wrapped around a conventional core so it does not migrate like traditional down and feathers do. I'm squarely in the camp of liking standard cushions, however. I think they are very comfy, they hold their form better over time, and cause less crinkles and lines in the leather. Plus, no up-charge!

I've not ever noticed a gap in a September series. How much total weight was on the sofa deck when you saw this occur? If anything, down would make the problem worse, not better since it has more 'cush' to it. Solutions are to run Heavy Duty springs in the deck for less compression (no upcharge), or use extra=full seat cushion cores on standard cushions.

Sundance is really designed to out in the middle of a room. You're paying a lot of money for the back art to be up against a wall. The Sundance deal leather (Town and Country) is not Equestrian, its Berkshire. Perhaps that store was running something in-house as a special but that is not the H&M program on that frame.

Capri Butternut is wonderful! A grade 4 hide ..... all the sofas you are looking at are very comfy, though the Sundance has a steep back angle.

Which model / leather grade are you looking for prices on? Also need your state to quote freight......
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

moraf Guest

Smile

Hi Duane,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree about the Sundance because it would be up against a wall.

We sat in the September alone and then together and found a gap at the lower back. Do you think it is how the cushions are filled?

We found a store that has a Journey and Journal and will go try them out.

Could you give us a price on the following sofas in Capri Butternut. We live in Rhode Island.

September
    Kodiak
    Evening
    Journey
    Journal
    Sundance

My husband really likes how he sits in the Sundance. He is 6"2 and I am 5"7 so we like a deep sofa. It may be that the Sundance tilts back a little and has a high back.

Please let us know if there are any other sofas that you feel we may be overlooking or a new leather that we should check out.

We would like to order the sofa very soon. We can call you if that works out better.

Thanks

Maureen

Here current pricing, good until the H&M period expires Sept 7th (after that date, add 5%). I prefer to use model numbers when quoting prices so as to avoid confusion - such as in the Sundance which comes in two sizes. These are for Grade 4 leathers:

# 9749 September: $ 4,416
    # 9503 Kodiak: $ 4,203
    # 1667 Evening: $ 4668
    # 1828 Journal: $ 3,870
    # 1724 Journey: $ 4,741
    # 4716 Sundance; $ 4,868

Shipping is appx. $ 200 for a sofa to Rhode Island (will vary by weight, some are heavier than others). I do not collect RI Sales Tax.

Other's that come to mind for deep sofas are the Settlement # 4192 Settlement and the # 5010 Highlands, and the # 5261 Rugby.

If you decide you like the # 4716 Sundance in Capri Butternet, I happen to have one on the floor that I was able to get as a dealer market special in that particular leather. I can sell you this one unit only for $ 4.118 plus shipping ( $ 750 off the order sale price). Its probably only been sat in half a dozen times and is my most recent floor model from H&M. Here's a photo.

Feel free to call, anytime!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sundance.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	422  
    Duane Collie

nhpinnacles Guest

Default Re: H&M and BY questions on comfortable sofas

can you explian what you mean when you refer to the Sundance as tilting back. Is this a bad thing ? Would it make activities such as book reading or knitting uncomfortable?

The Sundance merely has a slightly more aggressive back angle than other H&M sofas. Its really just a matter of personal preference.
    Duane Collie

Bean Guest

Regarding the Columbia vs. Document conversation...
    I Duane prefers the Columbia over the Document, because he has mentioned this in several different threads. However, I'm looking at sofas, and would like a leather with some varying color tones, rather than one solid color. It looks like the Columbia is just a solid color.

carmela39 Guest

Hello,
    Columbia is one solid color. If you want color variation don't choose this one. I like it but I also liked the look and feel of document. If you want to see pics of September in Document do a search on Document leather and you will see a post that says Document...anyone like it... Artielange posted pics in that thread.
    Carmela

artielange Guest

Here is that thread