Thread: Changes in Furniture Lines

Default Changes in Furniture Lines

I'm going to change up the upholstery lines carried in my store. Hancock and Moore is by far my best upholstery line, and still the gold standard by many measures. I think its the finest upholstery line in the country today, bar none. I keep over twenty pieces of it on my sales floor and will continue to maintain that level of commitment with the brand.

Jessica Charles is terrific, I'm very pleased with the quality and frames.

Flexsteel I have already discontinued. Mediocre furniture, cheaply made.

Leathercraft is one I am considering pulling off the floor. It's a nicely made product, but they just can't compete with H&M. Sales support is poor, pricing is terribly confusing, and they're pieces are not consistent in comfort (ordering out of the catalog can be a surprise). After the sale support is not very good, either - there's a reluctance to solving problems for the customer.

Bradington Young I'm keeping, but avoiding the Married Cover Program. B-Y offers a very viable and less expensive alternative to Hancock and Moore, with all the structural performance so it will last - it just does have the fine workmanship of H&M.

Southwood Furniture I intend to phase out. I've been a dealer for them for over 20 years, but they haven't kept current with sales materials (their main catalog is over 15 years old), their web site is incomplete, and they have a dealer price structure that puts small and mid-size dealers at a price disadvantage.

A new line I am thinking strongly about bringing in is Taylor King. Its a notch below H&M in price, but has a hugely strong fabric line with over 1,700 fabrics to choose from. Its well-made, and well thought of in the trade.

My question to the group: Has anyone had any experience with Taylor King, good or bad?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Sarah Guest

I have no experience w/ Taylor King but looking at their website, their pieces have great lines & style. If it is well made, I would seriously consider it!

Laxplaya7974 Guest

I have heard great things about Taylor King. One of my family members owns a chair from them and loves it! It is also comfortable and looks well made. I also read that it is owned by some H & M guys, so quality is pretty close with H & M.

Its not actually owned by Hancock and Moore, but the head folks at H&M are investors in Taylor King.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jarrodsmorton Guest

Duane,

We carry Taylor King. They will be about the same as Hancock and Moore in terms of quality. Their price list can be a little tricky at times. It just depends on what you are doing. I wish you could see their showroom here in High Point. It is very impressive.

feinmaster Guest

Where is this Taylor King show room in High Point?