Thread: family room layout and sofa or sectional

Kps1992 Guest

Default family room layout and sofa or sectional

Hi,
    My first floor flooded a few months ago ruining the sectional sofa (Ethan Allen Paramount 87"x87") in my family room. Reconstruction is underway and I'm looking to replace the sectional with a sectional, sectional/sofa combo, or anything else you might recommend. The family room opens up to the kitchen and it is where we watch tv. I've attached a layout with dimensions (although not to scale) and a few pictures. Disregard the building supplies in the photos as my house is a construction site at the moment. I'd like the furniture to be leather if possible as I have cats and a dog. One thing that tends to restrict the space is the fact that the coat closet sticks 3 feet into the room. The tv is large and is placed on the wall opposite the windows. Thanks for your time & assistance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0980.JPG 
Views:	382 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	7270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0983.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	7271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3942.JPG 
Views:	415 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	7272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0979.JPG 
Views:	400 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	7273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3956.JPG 
Views:	366 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	7274  

Default Re: family room layout and sofa or sectional

sorry hear your home was water damaged, that's tough to deal with.

For your room I'm not liking a sectional, it creates a barrier and looks out of place in the room. If that were my house, i'd run a sofa on the wall tucked in on the closet side, and then a matching pair of swivel chairs either side of the window. TV in the corner to the left of the fireplace either on a corner stand or mounted to the wall on a swing out arm, depending on size of it. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Kps1992 Guest

Thanks for the reply, Duane. I like your idea of not having a barrier. The problem I have is my tv is a rear projection type and its approx. 65" wide and 20" deep. This pretty much necessitates putting it on the wall opposite the windows. I could possibly switch it with a 42" plasma I have in a different room. Then I would need to purchase a component stand for the stereo and my son's game consoles. Keeping in mind we will be selling the house in three years, I think I have the following options: 1) sectional 2)sofa and loveseat or 3)sofa with 2 swivel chairs. Option 1 would keep the layout that has been there, but it does section off the room and might not provide as much flexibility in the unknown house I'll be moving to in 3 years . Option 2 would keep the current layout as well but perhaps provide more flexibility in the future. Although, I'm not sure if the space is too tight. If I went with option 3, I would keep the current layout with the swivel chairs being across from the fireplace or I could switch the tvs and go with your suggested layout either now or when the big tv dies or when we sell the house. What are your thoughts on these 3 options keeping in mind I'll be moving in 3 years?

Kps1992 Guest

would the Austin High Back sofa be appropriately sized for that room? My doorway is 33"
    Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    sorry hear your home was water damaged, that's tough to deal with.

For your room I'm not liking a sectional, it creates a barrier and looks out of place in the room. If that were my house, i'd run a sofa on the wall tucked in on the closet side, and then a matching pair of swivel chairs either side of the window. TV in the corner to the left of the fireplace either on a corner stand or mounted to the wall on a swing out arm, depending on size of it. Good luck!

Yes it will, we have put an 8138 Austin Sofa in rooms with doorways as tight as 31" wide with the legs removed. The Rear Projection TV is a giant paperweight (I have one to get rid of myself, stored in my basement), I'd use the 42" F.P. and look at that articulating arm idea. I have that setup in my house, contained in a cabinet. Works great and preserves space, you would be able to get a small free-standing shelf for video game console holder, etc. Here's two shots of my room layout in my family room

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sofamatch1.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	7315

Duane Collie

Kps1992 Guest

oh I like that layout. I think given the restraints I have currently, I need to go with my original layout but have a chair or loveseat opposite the fireplace. I can change the layout later and put the chair or loveseat in my living room. I need to make a decision soon but am waiting on the insurance company for some guidance on what they will reimburse. I've posed the question of being reimbursed for a sofa and loveseat or a sofa and chair instead of a sectional since a sectional takes the place of two pieces of furniture. If they allow that, then I have much more flexibility in my decision. Because my damaged sectional was 10 years old, the amount of money they would pay outright is much much smaller than the amount they would reimburse.

In order to get an idea of what I can actually afford, would you please pm some price quotes for me? I would be ordering one to three items and shipping would be to Newport News, VA. I am currently deciding between the following items:

5261 Rugby Club Sofa in Town and Country Weston Cane Burnished
    7106 Rugby Lounger in same
    5269 Rugby Chair and ottoman is same

5691 Author Chair and Author ottoman in Town and Country Weston Cane Burnished

8138 Austin High Back Sofa in Town and Country Document Tobacco or non-Town and Country Class 2 leather.
    2038 Austin High Back Tilt Back Chair and 8131 Ottoman in same.

Thank you so much for your time and assistance! I'm going to test sit in some Hancock and Moore pieces locally today, but I intend to order from you.

I have my PM's shut off on the forum, it was being abused too much by too many. For quotes, you have to initiate (or call the store) here on the forum using the QUOTES feature from the main menu.

Your insurance company is simply going to write you a check to spend as you wish. See you have a Replacement Plus feature on your policy, if you do then the old ones will be full value and not pro-rated.
    Duane Collie

Kps1992 Guest

I just requested a quote. I had the opportunity to try the Austin high back sofa,Ruby Club sofa, Ricki sofa, Greyson and Epic recliners and Author chair today. I really wanted to like the Rugby and Author, but both my son and I (I'm 5' 7" and he's 5' 11") slouched when sitting on the Rugby and he found the Author too stiff on the back. We both really liked the Austin thought the Ricki was pretty comfortable too. We both liked the Epic and Greyson recliners. Are recliners typically more comfortable than tilt-back with ottomans? My son is dead set on the Austin. Two sofas that I'm interested in but haven't been able to try are the Journey and September. How do these feel in relation to the Austin?

Some folks prefer the tilt-backs with ottomans to recliners, and others vice-versa, its about 50/50. The chair/ottoman combo will be more expensive as you are buying two pieces of furniture, and it takes up more space in the room, but on the plus side they are stronger than any recliner as they don't have that articulating mechanism.

Austin is one of the best - if not THE best sofa to sit upon, but not the best lay-down sofa. Journey is the ultimate napping sofa, though doesn't have the dual lumbar support sitting back that the Austin has. So.... for sitting upright? Austin. For Laying down....Journey. The September has a lower back height on it and the back cushions near each arm side slope downwards, so I find that design feature to be less than ideal for back comfort, but that's just me.
    Duane Collie

Kps1992 Guest

Thinking back to the Rugby, I wonder if it was the leather (Buckingham Burnished) that caused us to slide down rather than the dimensions. Does a leather such as that become softer and less slick over time?