Thread: Living room help needed

Default Living room help needed

I have been living in my new house for 3 weeks now and I could really use some help determining how to lay out my space. I am a bachelor and I want a room that looks nice. I've considered a sectional or double love seats or keeping the sofa and replacing the recliner with a new one.
    I've also considered mounting the TV over the Fireplace or on the wall behind the sofa.
    Bottom line is that I want a living room that is thought out and I've got basically a blank slate to work with.
    Thank you in advance for any advice I receive.

*edit
    The wall behind the sofa is 15', window to window is ~12' and the short wall opening to the kitchen area is also ~12'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	7295   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	381 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	7296   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	367 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	7297  
    Last edited by topgrain; 06-07-2015 at 09:51 PM. Reason: adding pictures

Default Re: Living room help needed

I'm sure we can give advice but will need visualization of the room. A photo from all (4) corners of the room looking in plus a room schematic are ideal.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

You were too fast for me, it took a little bit to figure out how to upload and attach files here

I that were my room I know what I would do. That short wall that is across from the sofa is where I would mount my flat panel TV, and put it on a Peerless brand articulating arm (Peerless makes best in industry, the most stable). The wall is too short in depth to use it for anything else. The articulating arm will allow you to pull it out and move it into the room appx a foot and a half. Then a small console under the TV for your cable/VIOS box, DVD player, etc. Sofa is good where it is, move the chair to the right of the fireplace and get a cocktail ottoman for in front of the sofa. A sectional is too overpowering for that space and has too much blockage IMHO.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Using Zillow I have been able to find pictures still posted from older listings of homes in the area with my exact floor plan. I used them to get ideas of the layout others used but nobody had what you suggested. Thank you for giving me another option to consider.

strofferazo Guest

I would move the sofa to face the tv/windows, where your chair now sits. I'd put a chair on the right and a chair on the left. I don't care for the sofa against your wall right now. I would also rotate the rug. If you go to any decent furniture store and show them your photos they will draw out a design plan for you. Ethan Allen came up with some wonderful ideas for a sunroom in my home that I would never have thought of, and it ended up looking great. I think almost all places will do this for free, and they will of course suggest their own pieces but you don't have to use them.

vbnet Guest

I second going to the furniture store for help. But another option, if you hope to see the tv from the kitchen put it on the wall where the sofa is. Put the sofa across from the tv, floating in the room, the back will be to the kitchen. You might need a higher stand for the tv so you can see it from the kitchen. The short wall that Duane recommended the tv stand, I'd put a console table or buffet table for décor most days, but can serve snacks or set up a bar when entertaining keep the counter clear for the food prep

Chair will stay but angle it toward the tv. These are quick changes and you will get to enjoy your fireplace too. (sorry I had to edit my first response because I didn't realize that was a fireplace).

Another option for help. Sign up on Houzz.com. Go to advice, post in design dilemma. People love to help others. I might suggest determining some of the things you like to help determine your style to help direct their advice.

Good luck! Lovely space you have there.
    Last edited by vbnet; 07-10-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: sorry I had to edit my first response because I didn't realize that was a fireplace

vbnet Guest

As far as a sectional, that's a tough one. I'm not sure I'd do that in this room because it's likely It needs to float in the center of the room then it will be difficult to always walk all the way around to get to the seats. You don't want the back of any of it to the fireplace because then it's wasting one of your features of the house.