Thread: Could use your advice on some new leather pieces

Newbee Guest

Default Could use your advice on some new leather pieces

Hi all,

I am getting rid of an old sectional. I am wanting to replace with a leather sectional or two leather couches (still undecided on which).

To give you an idea my last sectional is fabric and 12 years old besides being ugly it held up. Nothing broke on it and it never fell apart. I try and avoid any mechanical recliners or recliners in general because it seems one more thing to break.

I prefer leather and am new in the shopping process. I am not in a hurry and want to try and make the best and of course most econumical choice I can make. I am willing to pay decent money for something that will last me, but I also have kids so I am afraid to buy ultra high end for fear they still could potentially damage it.

My knowledge base so far is pretty limited but this is what I believe is a good start.. avoid couches made in China. If going with leather stick with full grain, if possible make sure that the frame only contains hard wood and no plywood and I believe I read something about hook springs? I am reading mixed reviews on the Flexsteel line. Initially I began at Lazyboy but ran for the hills after reading a few reviews. I also eyed Ashley furniture but also high tailed it after reading some reviews.

So far I found several styles that I like.
    Flexsteel
    Bernhardt
    Smith Brothers

Can anyone tell me if the above are even worth looking at and if so which one might be my best bet? I will also post a few links below if that is ok of a few pieces I have an interest in. I would love your input good, bad and the ugly. Thanks so much for your time and your input. Links below:

http://www.levinfurniture.com/p-2531...ther-sofa.aspx
    http://www.levinfurniture.com/p-2532...ther-sofa.aspx
    http://www.furniturefair.net/Bernhar...formation.aspx
    http://www.wayside-furniture.com/ite...&itemnum=336-A Price on this one was $2949
    http://www.wayside-furniture.com/ite...temnum=396-10L Price on this one was $3489.00

Default Re: Could use your advice on some new leather pieces

Of the three makers you listed, I would only consider Smith Bros., myself. Ashley is bottom tier and I would avoid it, and Bernhardt is not much better. Flexsteel has both USA and China-made product, some is halfway decent others not so much.

Let me re-direct your thinking on cost vs performance however. Many customers come to me with these exact same thoughts "I am willing to pay decent money for something that will last me, but I also have kids so I am afraid to buy ultra high end for fear they still could potentially damage it.". They will then put the 'good' furniture in the living room where no one uses it and the low-end, mediocre stuff in the daily use family room. You want to reverse that thought and think about putting the low-end stuff in the least used room. Why? Because it is not being used it will actually look and be OK, its when you begin using the cheaper stuff that it fails. The high-end, high-quality build should go into the daily room family area, where everyone is on it and it takes a hard hit every day. It's built like a rock and it won't fail structurally. Pound on it for the next 20 years and it will become a part of the family and never disappoint you. Stick a piece of Ashley in that environment and you will be calling 1-800-GOT-JUNK in years for a pickup. You buy the high end unit for the build of the frame and suspension, you don't have to put the premium leather on it. Smith Bros uses a no-sag (zig-zag) suspension system, and I much prefer an 8-way hand-tied deck, but that's not a deal breaker on their product lineup. They are a growing operation and just completed a multi-million dollar expansion of their production facilities and its all made in Indiana. The only reason I have not picked up their line is because I'm an 8-way kind of guy. Take a look at McKinley leather furniture which is similar to Smith in price points, but they DO have that 8-way suspension on a solid hardwood frame at good price points.

Tips with kids and leather furniture. It all about the parenting. My wife and I raised ours on high-quality leather and now they are 24 and 21, and we still have all the pieces they grew up on and it will go to their first apartments when they are ready for it. Its over 20 years old now and still quite usable. Here's a short list of things you don't allow them to do on the leather upholstery:

* No jumping. Not even the best made furniture will do well if used as a trampoline. That's forbidden.
    * Banish all permanent markers from the house. They will literally dye the leather and cannot be removed. This is my # 1 damage caused by kids by far. The piece has to go back for new leather as a repair. Water-based markers are fine.
    * No sharp objects like knives and sharp scissors near the leather. This is common sense with kids anyways.
    * When the girls get to be 10, 11, 12, no fingernail polish remover (Acetone) near any of your furniture you value. That includes not only leather but the kitchen table.

Other that that, keep it clean, conditioned and protected and enjoy it. Good luck!
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-13-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Newbee Guest

Hey thank you so much for your input on my quest to find the right furniture. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. This does make sense regarding the switcharoo on the good quality furniture in the room with more traffic, the less quality in the room less used. I like this.

So basically if you don't mind just a few more questions? Out of the ones I mentioned below your feelings are the Smith Bro's would be the best choice. I did find a smith bros sectional and i'll post the link below to get your thoughts. If I go the sectional route I don't recall the exacts on pricing but I think we were pushing in the limits of 6k. I have not shopped a Hancock and Moore set yet because the showroom is about an hour away. From your experience if I were to purchase an HM sectional any thoughts on what the starting price could be? Obviously not listed on web sites.

Lastly and forgive me for hammering you for info, but I get confused on the leather. I had a full grain leather swatch of Smith bro's hides and they had grading on the back. I believe it was numerical grading but I can't reall. Any thoughts on what that means? So many details I want to make a good choice. Thank you again for your input and below is the Smith Bro's sectional I mentioned.

http://www.wayside-furniture.com/ite...5221+Sectional

I am not that familiar with Smith Bros to know their swatches and grades, sorry. $6K is not a terrible price for that sectional, the Hancock and Moore version of that would be another $ 2,500 - $ 3,500 or so depending on the dealer you go to, and that's the construction differences mostly.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.