Thread: Take Care of your Cow....

Default Take Care of your Cow....

Yesterday was leather cleaning/conditioning day for me around my house. I used a new Leather Solutions kit and did (2) sofas, (1) recliner, (2) lounge chairs, (2) Swivel desk chairs, (1) Large Cocktail Ottoman, (1) Boot Stool, and (1) Occasional chair with the kit, and used appx. 60% of the product. By far, the reason most folks don't get the full lifespan out of their leather furniture is because they don't maintain it, and yes - its a chore - and YES you need to do it every 6 months or so. But if you do, you are rewarded with maximum usage of your investment over the useful life of the furniture. If you don't clean and condition your leather, you can expect 7 to 10 years of regular use out of the leather before it gets soiled and cracks out. If you take care of it, it can go 30 to 40 years in many cases. Here's photos of the pieces I did yesterday and their approximate time we have owned them to date. All are 'unprotected' aniline hides (I don't buy finished or protected leathers for my home).

Leathercraft Sofa # 1 : Appx 14 years old. There is some pigment color loss in the center seats and welt trim abrasion, but overall this is in excellent shape for its age and still on the original cushion cores. This piece is used daily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C10.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	7354

Leathercraft Sofa # 2: Appx 4-5 years old. Bought as a match to # 1, they missed on the color match. Less sun fade than # 1, still quite handsome

Name:	C2.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	7355

Hancock & Moore Campaign Cocktail Ottoman in Tuscany Harness. This was used at the store as floor model for 4 years to place the H&M leather rings atop of. It got heavy use in the store, and had been in my home now about 1 year. A great pull up hide! I like the pressure marks (some folks call these scratches), they add character to the leather.

Name:	C5.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	7356

Hancock & Moore Tavern Chairs in Hand-Antiqued Sunset Burnished with Boot Stool in Weston Cane. A pair of these, appx 4 years old.

Name:	C9.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	7357

Hancock & Moore Bailey Office Chair in Quintessence leather. About a 1.5 years old

Name:	C8.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	7358
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Take Care of your Cow....

Part 2 (I can only attach 5 photos per thread entry):

Hancock & Moore Sadler Recliner in Kipling Whiskey. About 7 years old and showing some sun fade due to the several palladium windows in the room where it is located. On its original cushion cores.

Name:	C6.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	7359

You can read about the kits here on the forum, which you need and how to get them. I have only (2) Aniline Kits left right now (there has been a run on them lately), but am ordering twenty-five more this week. No matter what brand or make of your leather furniture, I would encourage you to spend the time and effort to keep it maintained. I did all of the above pieces with a full treatment in under two hours.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...oning-Protocol
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-06-2015 at 09:24 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

puremichigan Guest

Hi Duane~

Is it best to treat the H & M leather furniture when it first arrives as a preventive measure, or wait six months and then do the first application?

Thanks~
    Wendy

Well, I waited the 6 months or so to clean my Atticus Sable Austin chair and ottoman after they arrived.