Thread: Yes another newbie thread

crcostel Guest

Question Yes another newbie thread

We are looking at getting a new fabric living room set - sofa, chair, ottoman. We have newborn twins so quality for a budget (2k) is a priority. The current set is JCPenney which apparently is Klaussner but died in 5 years. Any recommendations? Anything to avoid besides Ashley?

Thanks everybody!

Default Re: Yes another newbie thread

You can have quality, or you can have cheap to buy, but you can't have both. $ 2k for a new sofa/chair/ottoman puts you squarely in the cheap group with the 5 year (or less) life span. You will have to double your budget to get into the better product lines. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

scone Guest

A high quality new sofa is likely beyond your budget, unless you happen across some sort of incredible sale. An alternative is a consignment shop; the best ones have some amazing bargains. Find the sofa first, then pick up the colors in the rest of the room design. If I had newborn twins, this is what I would do-- since there will be a lot of spills in the next few years.

Ci2Eye Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scone View Post
    A high quality new sofa is likely beyond your budget, unless you happen across some sort of incredible sale. An alternative is a consignment shop; the best ones have some amazing bargains. Find the sofa first, then pick up the colors in the rest of the room design. If I had newborn twins, this is what I would do-- since there will be a lot of spills in the next few years.
    I think I'd rather have a new sofa with a limited lifespan rather than something used and potentially germ-filled especially with new-borns. There are many homes that are pet free, smoke free, bug free, and clean but buying a consignment store special comes with uncertainty about the piece's history that I wouldn't be willing to accept. I'd buy used case goods but never upholstery.

crcostel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ci2Eye View Post
    I think I'd rather have a new sofa with a limited lifespan rather than something used and potentially germ-filled especially with new-borns. There are many homes that are pet free, smoke free, bug free, and clean but buying a consignment store special comes with uncertainty about the piece's history that I wouldn't be willing to accept. I'd buy used case goods but never upholstery.
    Interesting thoughts - the boys came early too so we are sensitive to germ issues.

I knew we'd never be able to afford *high* quality I suppose it was more bang for the buck in the lower middle range: Broyhill/Lane/Klaussner/Palliser

scone Guest

Furniture isn't "germ free." Your home isn't "germ free." The wider world isn't "germ free." Your own skin is not "germ free." Your gut is one solid mass of "germs," that's largely how your food is digested.

The factory where your new sofa would be made is run by human beings who are not "germ free." The warehouse and delivery people are not "germ free." Buy new or buy used, you get "germs."

The kids are going to be exposed to all sorts of "germs" just by being around people. You are also picking up "germs" every time you go to the store, to work, to church. Not only is this something that can't be avoided, it's not something you want to avoid, because it prevents the kids' immune system from developing properly. In any case, the kids will be going through the drool, barf, poop, and food flinging stages, so soon you'll have lots and lots of germs multiplying everywhere!

Seriously, don't worry about it. And congratulations.