My wife and I are getting ready to purchase new living room furniture and we are having a difficult time getting a sense of the quality of the various brands. I am sure Duane would say that we get what we pay for, but how much do we have to pay to get something of reasonable/acceptable quality? That is, something that will last 15 years or so...

For example, we have heard positive comments on Hancock and Moore, Bradington Young, and Leathercraft. We have heard negative comments on Ashley, Lane, and Flexsteel. I realize that most of the old name-brand furniture manufacturers are making their furniture in China (Broyhill, Thomasville, LaZBoy, etc.) and we would like to stay away from Chinese-made furniture.

I am not certain we can afford the top-of-the-line stuff, yet we want to avoid the junk as well. What are the in-between brands? I've heard of Jaymar, Century, and Palliser. Are these acceptable? Are their others that represent the "price-performance sweet spot?"

We are looking for either a reclining sectional or a combination of sofas, love seats, and chairs which include some reclining furniture. While we understand the benefits of leather, I am not sure we can afford or even like the look-and-feel of leather.

Does anyone have a list of brands by the broad ranking categories of "Superiot", "Acceptable", and "Unacceptable?" Any guidance would be appreciated.