Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranking Furniture Brands

Gus Guest

Default Leathercraft

Do you have an opinion of the comfort of this leathercraft 2530 sofa...for both sitting upright and lounging sideways, feet up with a book? It does have a 22" deep seat, so I imagine it is roomy enough.

I don't (have an opinion on comfort) as I have not had that frame come through the store. An educated guess? I'd say 80% chance it would meet expectations looking at the photo and measurements.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

NCSeminole Guest

Default Re: Ranking Furniture Brands

I love this listing here. Drcollie or anyone for that matter, do you know of a ranking of upholstered furniture? My wife and I are just now buying furniture for the first time (i'm 29, been married 9), we were blessed with hand me downs of nice furniture but now are on the market and havent a clue. I have surfed the forums and have read a ton before posting but can't really nail down a consensus on how to determine good quality pieces or manufacturers other than going with 8 way hand tied springs and H&M are a great brand. I just spent several hours at a warehouse showroom near my home in charlotte, that boasts of 7 acres/1million square feet of furniture and I left confused. tons of broyhill, england, thomasville, and ashley everywhere, and yet none of these brands seemed to have a good reputation. I would love any guidance you could give on a "furniture for dummies", I also was informed about Englands in cushion springs that I haven't heard of on here so was wondering what your opinion is on those things.

There really is no ranking of furniture per se, and there's a couple of reasons for that.

1) No one in the industry does it.
    2) Builds and specs change all the time from a manufacturer. It would require updating regularly.
    3) There are hundreds of makers, not like cars where you have 20 or so top brands.
    4) It will be biased by whomever is doing the ranking (including yours truly)

Better - to learn here on the forum (its all been covered) on what makes a good piece then go investigate the brands you are interested in using your own eyes and touch.

General rules in this business:

1) The lest costly it is, the less likely it is to hold up. The very best makers let the cost fall where it may. You have to pay to play.
    2) Most imports are not up to the build level of USA-made
    3) Solid hardwood frames are always better than engineered hardwood frames (plywood)
    4) 8-Way Hand-tied suspension is still the gold standard of the industry.
    5) Everything looks good when its new.
    6) There is no rocket science to build it. To get a price lower as a manufacturer, you either cut out labor or material. They all know how to build it right, but target consumer price resistance at various levels.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Marjflowers Guest

My own experience two recliners back cause me to take issue with one item on the chart -- Barcalounger. I bought a leather Barcalounger in 2009 or 2010 (can't remember for sure). It look nice enough, and was reasonably comfortable. But in less than a year, the steel frame on one of the arms ( the point where my elbow meets the inside of the arm) began to bend. It got worse and worse, and eventually the entire arm fell off!! But before that happened, the lever that operates the recliner fell off in my hand! I will say that I spend a LOT of time in my recliner, but I did not abuse it in any way. I was appalled -- especially since I had bought the chair at the one exceptionally nice furniture store in town. When I took pictures to show them what had happened, they sort of implied that it had been my fault and refused to do anything about it.

I later learned that at the time the recliner was made, Barcalounger was on serious economic trouble, and they were cutting corners wherever possible. It was a bad time for domestic furniture makers, given the burst of the housing bubble and the economic nightmare that followed. They eventually went through bankruptcy. They're back, and maybe their quality has improved -- their scores on the chart are solid 8s with a 10 for value. But for my money, I'll never go down the Barcalounger road again.

As an aside, the remnants of the chair have been put to good use in my garage. What is left of the actual chair makes nice seating for my cats when I'm working on something in the garage. And the arm that fell off makes a good, low padded perch when I need to be in the floor of the garage.