Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeaky Leather Sofa - Normal?

ccyork Guest

Default Squeaky Leather Sofa - Normal?

Hi,

We have a Hancock & Moore leather sofa that is about 2 months old. It squeaks a lot when we move around on the cushions. It's clearly the sound of leather rubbing on leather, and it can be quite annoying.

Is this normal? Will it eventually go away? Is there anything we can do to help the problem?

Thanks!

Default Re: Squeaky Leather Sofa - Normal?

Some leathers are saddle hides or burnished leathers (you don't say which leather you have on it) and when they friction rub they will 'squeak'. That won't go away and can't be corrected, however you can use some talc powder and put it in the friction areas - careful its white! - and that will calm the noise down considerably. One think I always do is advice customers that some leathers are noisy, because it does bother some folks - others don't mind it at all. All burnished and hand-antiqued leathers will be noisy, as well as Equestrian and most of the pull up hides.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

oaklandhills Guest

Hi Duane,

How "nosiy" is Equestrian Saddle? I don't recall our ever discussing a "noise" factor before placing my sectional order. Also, I spent months researching and reading several years worth of old forum posts before selecting my leather and this is the first time I recall anyone mentioning/asking about squeaky leather! I now see there are a few old posts, but they're from 2010 and 2012 and I didn't read back that far.

Thanks,

Julie

Equestrian is a wonderful saddle leather and just like a horse saddle, will typically have friction noises when used. It's one of my top choice leathers actually - and that leather-on-leather sound never bothers me, several of my pieces at home (most actually) do that. Some talc powder will eliminate most of the noise, but you have to watch out how much you use due to the white color of it.
    Duane Collie

ccyork Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Some leathers are saddle hides or burnished leathers (you don't say which leather you have on it) and when they friction rub they will 'squeak'. That won't go away and can't be corrected, however you can use some talc powder and put it in the friction areas - careful its white! - and that will calm the noise down considerably. One think I always do is advice customers that some leathers are noisy, because it does bother some folks - others don't mind it at all. All burnished and hand-antiqued leathers will be noisy, as well as Equestrian and most of the pull up hides.
    Duane,

Thanks for the information. When we bought the sofa, we did not even consider the possibility that it would be noisy!

The leather is Hyde Park Cognac Burnished, so I guess it's one of the noisy leathers. We'll try the talc powder. Is it OK to assume there's no risk of damage to the leather?

It will make a little noise, but I honestly think you won't even notice it after a few days. That talc powder won't hurt that cow , just turns everything white is all....
    Duane Collie

ccyork Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    It will make a little noise, but I honestly think you won't even notice it after a few days. That talc powder won't hurt that cow , just turns everything white is all....
    Thanks!

We have the same leather and Duane is right, I barely notice the noise any more and I'm quite picky. It is a small inconvenience for such a beautiful piece of furniture.

How loud do these leathers squeak? Will the whole room hear it or just the person sitting on the cushion making the noise?
    Also, how stiff are the Burnished leathers? Is there another leather of similar stiffness that I could get a swatch to compare.
    Are they stiffer than some pull ups such as Stampede Harness?
    I love the Hyde Park leathers and Weston Cane Burnished. The samples are obviously before the burnishing so I don’t know what to expect. Is the noise something you just don’t notice after awhile.
    Thoughts from anyone that owns these type leathers.

Ever ride a horse? They will squeak just like a horse saddle. I actually find it a rather pleasant sound, because its indicative of real leather, not the highly processed Chinese hides. And its just like buying a chiming clock - when you first bring one into the house you find the chimes annoying, but you tune it out after three or four days and don't even notice it.

Burnished hides are stiffer than most, because of the hand-glazing and top-coat sealer. I would say on par with Stampede Harness. Samples WILL have the burnished effect on them

I have (6) Burnished leather pieces in my own home - love 'em. They're good looking, tough as nails and take wear incredibly well.
    Duane Collie