Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about a couple BY sofas

sofa87 Guest

Default Question about a couple BY sofas

Duane,

Tabor - We are considering the Tabor. We love the split back look. However the local dealer does not have one in stock so we can't sit in it. According to the BY website it only has a 19" seat depth. Have you ever sat in one? How does it sit? Is the back more upright or sloped? The 19" kind of scares me.

Dietrich - How high is the back on it? Since it's a camel back the BY site does not list the seat to back height.

We are looking at stationary's with a higher back. The fiance does not like the lower back BY's that we sat on. We really liked the Newman but it's a reclining sofa. We nixed the reclining sofa idea because we want to go with the 8-way hand tied springs. We'll just get a stationary sofa and 2 swivel glide recliners. We have it narrowed down to:

Tabor
    Dietrich
    Dillon
    Radley
    Bosworth
    Xander

Do you have any positives / negatives about any of those?

Default Re: Question about a couple BY sofas

I'm not a fan of the # 621-95 Tabor by B-Y. It's an attempt to knock off the Hancock & Moore # 8138NB Austin High Back sofa and in my opinion missed the mark by quite a large margin. Normally I am not so harsh on a piece, but 95% of all people would enjoy the Hancock and Moore version significantly over that B-Y model. Big difference. Don't be too concerned about a 19" seat depth on a bustle back unit from any maker. As soon as you sit in them, they compress 2" or so. The height is 40". If you intend to get one, order it soon. Its not in the new July 27, 2015 price book so that means its been retired and likely they will only make as many as they have frames left for.

Hey, you have to post links if you want me to look up that many models!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

sofa87 Guest

Duane,

Thanks for the insight on Tabor. Looks like we'll scratch that one.

Here you go:

Dietrich - How high is the back on it? Since it's a camel back the BY site does not list the seat to back height. http://www.bradington-young.com/amer...E&style=660-95

Dillon - http://www.bradington-young.com/amer...E&style=764-95
    Radley - http://www.bradington-young.com/amer...E&style=532-95
    Bosworth - http://www.bradington-young.com/amer...E&style=667-95
    Xander - http://www.bradington-young.com/amer...E&style=754-95

Generally speaking they all look pretty similar. Just wondering if you had any personal experience or thoughts like you did with Tabor. I also noticed you mention the 40" height. Should i be concerned with that? Just glanced at a few of the lower backed sofas and they seem to be anywhere from 35-37" We have a normal 36" entry door. Then inside the house we have 34" to about 32" (this one can be expanded if need be) openings. Do the legs come off any of these?
    Last edited by sofa87; 07-16-2015 at 07:57 AM.

# 660-95 is 37" H

The only one I've had come through my store of those models is the 764-95 Dillon. And its decent. B-Y changes models much more frequently than a company like Hancock & Moore so I don't get to try out a lot of them, as my B-Y sales are only 10% of what I do in Hancock & Moore, so I am much more familiar with that brand.

36" opening won't be a problem on any of those, 32" will be. I don't know if legs come off those models, sorry. Most do, but even so 32" can be a challenge on those taller highbacks.
    Duane Collie

Ci2Eye Guest

I have the Bradington-Young Dietrich. Here are the dimensions of mine.

Height from the floor to the sofa top: 37 inches in the middle, 34 inches on the sides so there is a rise of three inches in the middle.

Height from the seat cushion to the sofa back is 24 inches in the middle and 21 inches on the sides.

Height from the seat cushion to the top of the removable back cushions is 21 inches in the middle and 19 inches on the ends. The backrest cushions do not extend all the way to the top of the sofa back so that the row of nailhead trim is not obscured by the cushion.

Hope that helps.

sofa87 Guest

Thanks ci2eye, that is helpful.

ok, so i measured my doorway opening when i went home for lunch. The main door is a 36" door but the actual opening is about 34". I'm assuming this is pretty standard stuff. The frame and how it sticks out to close against to form a seal is about an inch on each side, hence the 34" opening. The smallest opening i need to go through is a 31" but could "easily" expand it to 34", which i think i will do. Based on a 34" opening should i be looking at low back sofas or do you think i'd be ok with a high back?

As always, thanks for all the help!

Its difficult to say for sure, not only the back height matters, but the overall depth of the sofa comes into play as well as how far forward the arm extends. There is a way to measure them, but you have to have access to a frame to actually measure that dimension.
    Duane Collie

sofa87 Guest

After doing some research it looks like the standard entry door to a home is 36". No way that is the actual opening though to any home with that size door because of the stop around the entire door. Unless you order some kind of customized entry door for your home you can only get them in 36", 32", or 30" but 36" is standard. Seems logical that any manufacturer would make their product to fit in that doorway. I see most of BY's i click on are 39-41" depth and 35-40" high. I looked at H&M's site and they even have some with 44" depth and 41" high.

Is this an issue for your customers or am i putting to much in to this? Obviously i'd hate to spend thousands on furniture and then it won't fit in my house. Should i narrow it down to a couple options then have you check with BY?
    Last edited by sofa87; 07-16-2015 at 04:32 PM.

In my experience, there is no such thing as a standard doorway. There is an assumption in the trade that anyone buying a big sofa has double entry doors, I don't know why that is - but it is. Many a time I have looked at some of the monsters at High Point and ask the CEO's "How you supposed to get that in the house?" I just get a blank stare in return....seriously.

B-Y won't measure for you like Hancock and Moore will. Been there, done that. FYI any product in the H&M lineup goes through a 36" doorway, that's a build standard at their company. Height of the back is not as much as issue as the depth of the piece. That deep depth is what kills you on moving day. I'd not be too concerned on the 36" front door you have, its the 32" in the back inside that might give you grief. Here's a post on how to determine if it will go, the problem is you need a frame to measure:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...38-Will-it-Fit
    Duane Collie

sofa87 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    FYI any product in the H&M lineup goes through a 36" doorway, that's a build standard at their company. Height of the back is not as much as issue as the depth of the piece. That deep depth is what kills you on moving day. I[/url]
    It stands to reason if a H&M Christopher 5568 (Height 44.25", Width 92.25", Depth 43.5" ), Bronson 5172 (Height 38", Width 90", Depth 50"), and a Somerset Bustle Back (Height 44", Width 82.5", Depth 47") will fit a 36"door opening then anything i've mentioned should be more than ok right"?

Xander - W 82 1/2" x D 39" x H 38 1/2"
    Dillon - W 90 1/2" x D 40 1/2" x H 39"
    Bosworth - W 87 1/2" x D 40 1/2" x H 40 1/2"
    Radley - W 83" x D 41" x H 37 1/2"
    Dietrich - W 87" x D 40" x H 37"