Thread: Thoughts on Tiburon Leather

sewconfused Guest

Default Thoughts on Tiburon Leather

We're looking for thoughts/experiences with Tiburon leathers. We've decided on a Sloane sofa and 2 Bowman chairs. The Sloane in either Tiburon Chestnut or Tiburon Cognac. The Bowman chairs we're thinking Tiburon Paprika. All pieces are going into a formal living room which has a grand piano.

Tiburon leather questions:
    - How well has it held up over time. Anyone have problems with this leather?
    - I've read that it'll develop a patina. What does the patina look like? We would like the furniture to look like-new over the years since it's going in a formal livingroom.
    - I've also read that it has a bomber jacket like look. I'm not seeing that in my samples, which I understand are taken from unuseable sections of the leather. The concern is that it'll look too casual for the space.
    - Will the Tiburon look nice tufted? This example from several years ago looks great. http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...fa-in-Tiburon- Wanted know if this is still the case.

Thanks

JG500 Guest

Default Re: Thoughts on Tiburon Leather

Personal choice, but I don't think would use Tiburon in a formal living space, one that has a grand piano? Tiburon is a pull up hide, that does develop marks over time from being used. If you're into that look, worn/bomber jacket, you'll love it. It really is a great leather. Example posted above doesn't really show off how Tiburon looks when has had some use. Tiburon over time definitely will have a casual appearance. If want to stay in gr3 category, take a look at Equestrian.

Take your sample and stretch it hard, and drag your fingernails across it - that's how it will look over time. Or you can look at this ottoman I have in my home, its was the floor model in my store for three to four years and had hundreds if not thousands of purses and leather handles dragged across it, as well as dozens of kids playing on it. This is in Tuscany Harness, but its performs the same as Tiburon in looks, feel and appearance. Your samples have not been handled and stretched, so go to work on them!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	7406

And this is what Tuscany Harness looks like when its brand new - this sofa is in my store if you are close to Wash DC and want to take a look:

Name:	sofa1.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	7407

These are fine Italian pull-up hides, but they DO have a waxy topcoat surface so if you are looking for velvet smooth they are not for you. They will always show pressure marks that will increase over time, and either you like that look or not. They are are their best in a tufted surface as well. There are not problems with this class of hides, though there ARE lots of mis-understanding of what they are. Many people object to the slick surface and markings, but that this shows this leather is not for them. A good Italian pull-up is a remarkable leather, but you have to know what you are buying into. It sounds to me you are not familiar with this type of leather so I'm going to suggest that it may not be for you.

Excellent choices in the frames, but perhaps consider Weston, Capri, Arizona, Quintessence if you want a fine leather that looks consistent day after day. The polished leathers are really handsome as well, though they will be more 'crusty' to sit on.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

sewconfused Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JG500 View Post
    Personal choice, but I don't think would use Tiburon in a formal living space, one that has a grand piano? Tiburon is a pull up hide, that does develop marks over time from being used. If you're into that look, worn/bomber jacket, you'll love it. It really is a great leather. Example posted above doesn't really show off how Tiburon looks when has had some use. Tiburon over time definitely will have a casual appearance. If want to stay in gr3 category, take a look at Equestrian.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the leather. I avoided Equestrian for its squeakiness. Great point on the picture. It hasn't been worn in. I'm not opposed to a more casual look in the living room as long as it's not too casual. Like you said, that's a personal choice. We're not really the formal type. The grand piano is played daily not fancy decor. And the leather furniture with the nail heads will be more formal compared to the family room filled with puffy, comfy, microfiber sofas.

sewconfused Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Take your sample and stretch it hard, and drag your fingernails across it - that's how it will look over time. Or you can look at this ottoman I have in my home, its was the floor model in my store for three to four years and had hundreds if not thousands of purses and leather handles dragged across it, as well as dozens of kids playing on it. This is in Tuscany Harness, but its performs the same as Tiburon in looks, feel and appearance. Your samples have not been handled and stretched, so go to work on them!

Name:	C5.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	7406

And this is what Tuscany Harness looks like when its brand new - this sofa is in my store if you are close to Wash DC and want to take a look:

Name:	sofa1.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	7407

These are fine Italian pull-up hides, but they DO have a waxy topcoat surface so if you are looking for velvet smooth they are not for you. They will always show pressure marks that will increase over time, and either you like that look or not. They are are their best in a tufted surface as well. There are not problems with this class of hides, though there ARE lots of mis-understanding of what they are. Many people object to the slick surface and markings, but that this shows this leather is not for them. A good Italian pull-up is a remarkable leather, but you have to know what you are buying into. It sounds to me you are not familiar with this type of leather so I'm going to suggest that it may not be for you.

Excellent choices in the frames, but perhaps consider Weston, Capri, Arizona, Quintessence if you want a fine leather that looks consistent day after day. The polished leathers are really handsome as well, though they will be more 'crusty' to sit on.
    Unfortunately we're on the West coast and can't make it to the store. We like the pull up in the Tiburon; especially on the Sloane sofa. What leather do you think is on the Sloane sofa on the H&M site? http://hancockandmoore.com/images/pr...oane_SO_HR.jpg We liked the Capri but thought that it was a bit too uniform. I'll take a second look at Capri.

JG500 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sewconfused View Post
    We liked the Capri but thought that it was a bit too uniform. I'll take a second look at Capri.
    Capri is extremely nice, has a lot of special effects/shading that gives it a slightly different look. Some of the colors show it more than others. But yeah, Capri not going to look like a Pull up hide or a burnished leather, its not quite as interesting. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by sewconfused View Post
    What leather do you think is on the Sloane sofa on the H&M site? http://hancockandmoore.com/images/pr...oane_SO_HR.jpg
    To my eye, that is Kipling Cognac, which was dropped about 18 months ago. If you like that look, check out the Weston series of leathers, that probably will come closest in the current offerings.
    Duane Collie

artielange Guest

We have Tiburon Butternut on three counter height stools and it looks really great, especially now that it has some age on it. Distressed but not overly so, it definitely has a nice character.

Good to hear! In my house its the same way, the pure aniline hides age in so nicely, whereas a finished leather never will.

BTW, I just picked up a 3-year old used Ford Escape as my daily driver and it has leather interior. I don't know where Ford got this leather, but its terrible. I've seen vinyl that looks better than what they are putting in this vehicle. You know I'm not kidding when I'm thinking "If I drove this down to Hickory and asked Jimmy Moore to re-do the front two seats and steering wheel in Equestrian Ebony, how much grief would he give me?" COME ON FORD MO CO, you can do better than this.

Name:	esc.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	7593
    Duane Collie

Good to hear! In my house its the same way, the pure aniline hides age in so nicely, whereas a finished leather never will.

BTW, I just picked up a 3-year old used Ford Escape as my daily driver and it has leather interior. I don't know where Ford got this leather, but its terrible. I've seen vinyl that looks better than what they are putting in this vehicle. You know I'm not kidding when I'm thinking "If I drove this down to Hickory and asked Jimmy Moore to re-do the front two seats and steering wheel in Equestrian Ebony, how much grief would he give me?" COME ON FORD MO CO, you can do better than this.

Name:	esc.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	7593
    Duane Collie