Thread: Mattress and Box spring question

Judyg951 Guest

Default Mattress and Box spring question

We went to the store where we purchased our current mattress and box springs 10 years ago (A California King mattress has two box springs). The salesman called for us to have a new inspection and told us to keep something heavy on the mattress to see if it will flatten enough for them to call it defective. Our mattress sinks 1 3/8". For them to say it is a manufacturing defect it has to be 1 1/2" .Is this crazy or a good idea? I'm not sure this will work, but will give it a try. They are not coming out for a few weeks. Would this really make any difference?

He also told us that since our boxsprings are like new if we got a new mattress from the same maker it would not affect the warranty on the new mattress. Is this correct? I'm more concerned about this than if they will call the mattress defective. I don't want to buy a new mattress made by the same company and have problems only to be told that we should have replaced the box springs when we bought the new mattress.

Default Re: Mattress and Box spring question

That's funny. I guess if you REALLY want to take his advice you could take it down the the driveway, put a tarp over it and park your car on it the night before they come over, that should do the trick. Its really not defective, its just used up, Judy. Average life span of most beds is 7 to 8 years, that's it. At 10 years age its just finished. The all cotton and pure latex beds will go longer, but for a conventional bed like a Sealy, Serta, Simmons, King Koil, etc. that's all there is to it. And unless I miss my guess, they are going to pro-rate it. If they give you a new mattress free and clear I would be really surprised being its 10 years old. Call and ask them. How the prorate works in many of these instances and usually that comes out to the 'sale' price of what you would go out and pay for a new one. I've never seen a manufacturer hand out free replacements on 10 year old bedding, but hey - I guess it could happen!

Box Spring is up to you, some re-use, some replace. I've never seen one fail.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-23-2015 at 05:41 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

This is a pure latex and cotton mattress. It's made by a Ca. manufacturer named Kluft. We won't get a free mattress, that is for sure, but they will give us the money we spent on the old one towards a new mattress. That is what my husband is hoping will happen. I'm skeptical that they will do anything, but it's worth a try. Who knows what will happen.

Thanks for the info on the box spring.
    Last edited by Judyg951; 07-23-2015 at 11:16 PM.

BevoGal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Judyg951 View Post
    This is a pure latex and cotton mattress. It's made by a Ca. manufacturer named Kluft. We won't get a free mattress, that is for sure, but they will give us the money we spent on the old one towards a new mattress. That is what my husband is hoping will happen. I'm skeptical that they will do anything, but it's worth a try. Who knows what will happen.

Thanks for the info on the box spring.
    Is this an Aireloom mattress, by chance?? I have read the discussions about how awful it is to get them to come out and try to measure for the warranty. Our Aireloom has deep body impressions and I have put off dealing with it for a couple years now! I didn't want them to come out and give me a new mattress that will develop the same issues, but you said they would give money towards a new mattress? Are you required to purchase through them? The mattress was purchased in 2009, and was great at first. I'm saving for a Royal Pedic with a topper (and planned to keep my box springs from the Aireloom). Let me know how it worked out with your mattress.

Judyg951 Guest

It's quite the story. Kluft and Aireloom are the same company. The only store that sells Kluft now is Bloomingdales and they are very pricy. Mattress companies use an independent company to measure the depth of the impressions in mattresses. We had the company come out twice to measure the impressions on the mattress. The first time it was within their tolerances so they would do nothing. We went back to the store where the mattress was purchased and the salesman requested that they come and remeasure. They came out a second time and measured and then the report said that the mattress was defective, but.......they then tried to claim that the bed frame (that they sold us) was not the correct one for the mattress. Well needless to say we called them out on that! They could not explain how a bed frame could cause a mattress to sag like that. They did agree to replace the mattress with another one that they sold in the store, but by the time they made that decision we had ordered a new Royal Pedic through Duane. The story does not end here however. My son and daughter in law wanted to upgrade their bed from a queen to a king. We arranged for them to use the credit. When they came to deliver the new mattress and pick up our old one, all of a sudden the delivery people found a "stain" on the mattress that magically appeared. Neither of the 2 times that the mattress had been inspected did anyone say anything about a stain!!! The of course refused to take the old mattress. My son raised holy hell. He called their main office and asked to speak to the owner. Told them they had one hour to make this right or he would go to social media. The company caved, came back and picked up our old mattress. Then we paid the delivery guys on the side to take the box springs and the mattress to my son's home. The whole experience was painful and I will never do business with that store again. The only reason I went there 10+ years ago is that there was a connection between my late Mother and the owners late Mother. I don't know where you are located, but this is a large Ca. chain. If you (or anyone else) wants their name I will be happy to PM you.

If you do buy a Royal Pedic you will need to buy a new box spring from them to get their warranty.

BevoGal Guest

This is exactly why I have hesitated for so long - I didn't want to begin this battle with the mattress company and/or the dealer. We have only been in "The Dump" one time here in Houston, and it was to purchase our Aireloom mattress. My friend insisted that she loved hers and they had a deal going, so we went to try it. We had been mattress shopping at Louis Shanks and one more place, and this one did seem best. We loved it for the first couple years or more, and then the body impressions took over! That led me to research online and discover the hornet's nest of complaints, especially in California.

I can see how you would be completely frustrated with the process -- can't believe the 'stain' issue. Ironically, I received an email today from Louis Shanks offering anniversary edition Aireloom mattresses for $2K+! That is half of what we paid in 2009. The hand-tied coils and layers of cotton sold me, and I will say, I have never felt pain from a sprung coil. But, I am not sleeping on a level surface at all...I even fill in spots with travel pillows for lumbar support! So, no, I will not be purchasing a special anniversary edition of this mattress =)

Back to your Royal Pedic, which one specifically did you purchase? I would like the organic line, but I know it comes at a premium. Duane has the all-cotton one, but yours has latex? I am looking through their website to see the models.

Again, thank you for your input! Glad you are enjoying the mattress now that it has become more comfortable.

BevoGal Guest

I like the organic one with a wool-wrap: http://www.royal-pedic.com/RPOCW.asp

Judyg951 Guest

The cotton ones were really too hard and stiff for us. We purchased this one: http://royal-pedic.com/RLQT.asp, but even though it says it's a quilt top it's not very cushioned to us at least. We are going to order the topper at some point in the future. We like a plush bed.

9. 06-25-2016