Thread: H&M Austin Sofa 8134NB vs High Back sofa 8138NB

sofa87 Guest

Default H&M Austin Sofa 8134NB vs High Back sofa 8138NB

Trying to get a comparison of the differences in these two. According to the specs on the H&M site:

8138NB High Back
    Height 41", Width 86", Depth 45"
    Inside: Width 73", Depth 21"
    Seat Height 20", Arm Height 23"

8134NB Sofa
    Height 36", Width 86", Depth 40"
    Inside: Width 73", Depth 21"
    Seat Height 20", Arm Height 23"

Seems like the inside depth would be bigger on the high back since it has 5 extra inches in total depth. Also, what is the seat to back height and seat depth on these two models? Which is more comfortable for a 6'0 tall man? Unfortunately i'm not in an area where stores carry these and cannot get any first hand experience.

I also don't see a high back recliner listed. I'm assuming there is just one standard size for the Austin recliners and it's dimensions are:

Height 40", Width 35.5", Depth 40"
    Inside: Width 21", Depth 20"
    Seat Height 20.5", Arm Height 23.5"

Any help would be appreciated.

jlkonder Guest

Default Re: H&M Austin Sofa 8134NB vs High Back sofa 8138NB

We have been looking for the 8134NB sofa. Don't know where you live but the H&M website has a search by zip codes for stores in the area. The two closest to us where 60 miles north in Ocala and about the same distance to Tampa. Also, I called H&M when looking for the chair they gave me the phone number for the rep in our area. He was able to name a store that had the product. Good luck. The low back sits great for me but I am 5'6".

It is hard to buy a sofa on Spec. I sell about ten of the High Back Sofas for every one of the standard units. Most people prefer the tall unit in that series, so much so that I floor the Tall, but not the standard. Generally if the customer is 5' 7" or under, I will recommend the 8134 standard sofa. If 5' 8" or over, the Tall Back. That seems to fit pretty true for most folks.

There is only one size Austin recliner and its a little on the small side for a 6' 0" man. You can fit it, but its not ideal - plus its a wallhugger unit, and wallhuggers are always built on a smaller chassis. Rather look at the 1044 Sadler, its much better and good up to 6' 5" in height, and the style blends nicely with the Austin series. If you want to stay with the Austin series, then the 2038 Tall Back Tilt Chair with ottoman is even more comfortable than a recliner and a solid top seller. It will take up more room and you have to get the ottoman for it to work correctly.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

sofa87 Guest

Duane,

Do you still recommend the 21 oz. cores in the austin tilt back chairs? Also, how big of a door opening does one need for the Austin High-back Sofa 8138NB? I've read so many posts, i think i read you said at least 33"....?
    Last edited by sofa87; 08-04-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Actually the seat is the only one where the core density varies and I prefer the standard 18 oz. Back cushions are fiber filled and can be either left standard or over-filled. I prefer standard in the back as well.

*8138NB has removable bun feet on the front and should go through 33" or better. Not much less than that, however.
    Duane Collie

sofa87 Guest

Thanks Duane! Was just going off this old thread where you did recommend the 21oz cores for the 8138NB (only). http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...k-Chair-2038NB Maybe H&M improved the specs since then?

Yes, I order my floor model Austins with standard cores not, for a while I did spec overfilled backs on all, but no longer do.
    Duane Collie