Greetings all. I’m replacing much of the furniture in my living room. Because of limitations with the space, there are few options to arrange the layout differently. For example, there are in-floor a/c registers along the wall on the top part of the diagram below. I have one chair in the room, a Baker tub chair from the Barbara Berry collection, that I plan to keep. Other than that, the TV/stand, and an area carpet, everything is to go. The furniture in the connected dining room is RH mission style, but I”m less concerned about matching that up.

I have several questions. First of all, how important is it to match the style of sofa and chair? I’m already planning to go with leather for the sofa, but is it important to match the lines, style of feet, etc?

Secondly, size of the sofa is a concern. I can perfectly lay out on my current sofa with a seating area that is 70” long. I’m about 5’9” tall. If the dimensions of the new sofa are too long, I’m concerned that the right edge of the sofa will be too close to the chair. I’ve also got a maximum 35” doorway, 33” with the door on.

Shown in the diagram is an ottoman the size an H&M 036 Meridian Ottoman that would replace a larger existing coffee table. How important is it to match the style and color of the ottoman with other pieces in the room? (e.g. including whether it’s okay to mix tufted, with non-tufted)

Some of the H&M pieces I’ve considered include:

Evening 1667 w/ straight back
Yosemite 5590 (possibly too wide)
Carmen 5628
City 9840 (probably too small) and
City 9844 (probably too large)

Suggestions for others?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	livinglayout.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	7490Click image for larger version.