Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for YOU - as customers for Hancock and Moore

Default Question for YOU - as customers for Hancock and Moore

What do you prefer to see in a showroom of the two choices on a floor model:

Choice one: A leather upholstery item in a low-end 'bargain' leather showing the lowest possible price

or

Choice two: A leather upholstery item in a mid to high grade leather that is going to carry a higher price tag, but is more attractive?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

JG500 Guest

Default Re: Question for YOU - as customers for Hancock and Moore

If I was an uninformed/more price sensitive shopper. Would most likely lean toward the lower priced furniture. Like if knew nothing about leather quality and even if became informed at the dealer or online. Would prob go with the lower cost pieces.

Though personally, I'm willing to pay more for a nicer/better hide. Whether a GR3 Bari to one of the great burnished leathers, to a GR4 Capri/Quintessence as examples.

I would prefer to see the higher grade leather as it gives me a idea of what I get for the higher price. Perhaps a "starts at" price for grade 1 could be on the tag.

puremichigan Guest

I would like to see floor models in mid to higher grade leathers, but I do think that some pieces on the showroom floor should be in entry grade leathers so that customers can see what they can get at their price point. Some people might decide to save a bit more for something they really like, as opposed to taking a less costly alternative. It would be great to have each H & M pieces tagged with the price in the class "as shown" and then with pricing in the four other classes, and so on with the other brands. If a showroom could have a variety of pieces in different grades, customers might better understand the differences.

Raident Guest

I agree with puremichigan that a mix would be be best. Personally, I've never seen or sat in a piece that had Capri/Quintessence - though I would love to - because my local H&M dealer only has T&C pieces on the floor. As a result, while I have a clear impression of what Cavalier and Piazza are like, my impression of the high end leathers is limited to what I can get out of petting swatches for a few seconds max as I flip through the book. And with the sheer number of leathers that H&M has, this really doesn't leave much of an impression at all unless if I'm targeting a specific leather to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    What do you prefer to see in a showroom of the two choices on a floor model:

Choice one: A leather upholstery item in a low-end 'bargain' leather showing the lowest possible price

or

Choice two: A leather upholstery item in a mid to high grade leather that is going to carry a higher price tag, but is more attractive?
    Is this choice in relation to a furniture store that is trying to sell me that piece from the floor, or from a furniture store that is trying to sell me a custom piece from that manufacturer?

In the latter context, I think I would prefer to see a nicer leather, but with a price tag that indicates the range of prices for the same piece custom ordered in other grades of leather (or perhaps, "customize this item with your choice of leather and wood, starting at $XXX in [name of decent grade 1 leather] leather.")

For my store inventory. When I order stock, I ALWAYS like to move it off as soon as possible, to get something else new in the place. I don't like ordering anything in Document (and won't) but I also know if I order pieces I like, the price goes up!

Those nice price tags with all the features take too long for me to make though, not enough hours in the day, so they get a basic one! Appreciate the input on this, it helps.
    Duane Collie

The other problem with the grade range pricing is the issues involved with older floor stock not representing current pricing.
    The pricing of the item on the floor does not need to change (though the dealer could if they wanted) with manufacturer's price changes, but the suggested grade range prices would require constant updating. Certainly not a desirable situation for a store like The Keeping Room with limited resources.

BarbieA1 Guest

[Well crud... Crafted a response and clicked the wrong button. Here goes again.]

I agree that a mix would be ideal... I've always wanted to avoid anything that felt plasticky, even before I was more informed about leather (mostly due to this forum!) and was willing to pay more for better quality. After learning more, I went to a local H&M seller (Louis Shanks) to see styles and leather in person. They had Document leather almost exclusively! It was very frustrating, esp. since Louis Shanks is a high end dealer. I looked at leather samples they had but it's just not the same as seeing something made from the leather.

Can you stock something small made from a selection of leathers? Small ottomans or boot rests perhaps? Or even cushions? I took one of my Capri bolster cushions (nubuck backing) to work with me so people could feel what I was talking about. Yeah I got laughed at, carrying my cushion around. But when folks held, smelled, squeezed and rubbed it, I heard lots of "My God"s and "Wow!" And I got to evangelize H&M and this forum.

So Duane, why not try cushions??

I could do that. Actually what might not be a terrible idea would be to order 12 to 16 of the 099 Footstools and have them all done in different hides, then build a open wall section with shelves in my store to house them. That way I could show some exotics on them as well as mainline hides, and customers could buy them as well right off the display. Those are small enough to pull out and move around, yet big enough to really get a sense of the leather.
    Duane Collie