Thread: How much is too much leather?

puhmuckel Guest

Default How much is too much leather?

The designer told me that 3 pieces of furniture in one room is just too much leather, and may look like a furniture store. How much leather in one room is too much? I am all for the different textures, but I am also a realist. I would hate for the cat to use my new chair as a scratching post. They have completely stayed away from the new leather sofa. Fabric, especially in a light color also shows dirt too easily. So, how much leather do you have in your living room?

artielange Guest

I disagree that 3 pieces is too much leather. As long as you have big pattern and color in the rug, pillows, and other accessories, the leather provides a calming, organic appearance. In the great room that Duane has helped me put together in my lake house, we have leather on the sofa, loveseat, 2 chairs and an ottoman. There is a lot of interest in the casegoods and the rug is a gorgeous persian large scale pattern. I have high hopes that it will all harmonize beautifully -- I'll let you know as it is all being delivered on Wednesday!

My "real" house where I currently am has a leather couch and a huge leather ottoman/coffee table and cowhide pillows. It definitely doesn't seem like a lot of leather.

In my family room, we are all-leather. In the living room (formal), all fabric. In the Media room, all-leather again.

My advice to those that work with decorators is to remember one thing:

Long after the Decorator has left, YOU still live everyday with the results Be sure to get what you like, because you're paying for it, and sitting on it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by artielange View Post
    I disagree that 3 pieces is too much leather. As long as you have big pattern and color in the rug, pillows, and other accessories, the leather provides a calming, organic appearance. In the great room that Duane has helped me put together in my lake house, we have leather on the sofa, loveseat, 2 chairs and an ottoman. There is a lot of interest in the casegoods and the rug is a gorgeous persian large scale pattern. I have high hopes that it will all harmonize beautifully -- I'll let you know as it is all being delivered on Wednesday!

My "real" house where I currently am has a leather couch and a huge leather ottoman/coffee table and cowhide pillows. It definitely doesn't seem like a lot of leather.
    Coming next Wednesday? EXCELLENT! Gotta get us photos Judy, I especially would like to see that Bench with the Pendleton Blanket back and leather seating surface, and the three leather barstools from H&M.
    Duane Collie

puhmuckel Guest

Default Color mixes

Are all the colors in an all leather room in the same family, exact color match or mixed up ?

In my room, they're mixed, but in the same general color family. All mid-town browns with an amber look, and three different brands as well. I forgot to mention, my library is all-leather as well. In there I hava blue office chair, a red wing and ottoman, and a dark green recliner. They all tie in with my oriental rug that's in the Library.
    Duane Collie

chcallander Guest

Default Re: How much is too much leather??

My wife and I are looking to purchase some nice furniture for our great room. We are thinking a sofa and two chairs. I love unique leather furniture, she is a bit worried the place will look like a hunting lodge.

1. I was hoping to get your take how much leather is too much?
    2. What is a good (wife friendly) arguement for all three pieces to be leather?
    3. How does Distinction Leather stack up?

Appreciate your input.

The key if using leather on all upholstery in a room is to bring in color patterns in other ways, such as your draperies, or wall color - or even in a multi-colored rug such as an oriental. If you take a bunch of brown leather upholstery and put it in an off-white room with neutral wall-to-wall carpet and a bunch of old brown small tables, its not going to look very good. Use COLOR! People have been scared have to death by realtors who say everything has to stay neutral in a house.... B - O - R - I - N - G. Use of color has to be done correctly - for example an earth tone motif : Browns/Golds/Greens/Reds or a cool motif: Blacks/Blues Dark Burgundy. You can't just throw color in haphazardly and without a plan.
    Duane Collie

hglaber Guest

What you put around it I think is a factor as well. Three leather pieces under a deer antler chandelier with log side tables and decoy lamps under angler-themed lampshades will look like a hunting lodge. The same things beside a nice wooden desk, floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, and Tiffany-style lamps will look like a 5th Avenue townhouse library. Just being leather alone doesn't make it look rustic, even though rustic often includes leather.

If you need proof, go pick up some shelter mags to show her. I guarantee you will find a leather-heavy room in there somewhere. Something like Arch. Digest will be probably be a classic or "soft modern" style, while something like Dwell will be ultra modern. There will be absolutely no indication of hunting/fishing/camping/dude ranching taking place anywhere in the near vicinity even though leather is everywhere.

chcallander Guest

Default Re: How much is too much leather?

Great points ... thanks