Thread: Leather Master vs. Leather Solutions

joe333x Guest

Default Leather Master vs. Leather Solutions

From days worth of research these both seem to be the best leather care products. I like that leather master is water based, not sure about leather solutions since they dont really give much information on their site about them. Im looking for the best products to protect my Flexsteel Crosstown semi aniline sectional. Im hoping if I tackle this before the sectional comes in I will be able to make the leather last. The sectional is 129" x 103 " so I'm hoping to get something that comes with enough product to do the whole sectional. The back and sides are vinyl so im also in the market to see what I should use on that.

EDIT: Forgot to add Hidey's Beauty Treatment to the list, which ironically is from a different company called leather solutions.
    Last edited by joe333x; 09-01-2015 at 07:38 PM.

Default Re: Leather Master vs. Leather Solutions

I have used both (or all three you list). All leather kits are water based these days, from any maker. Leather Master makes a decent product, and like will cost less and be a 2-bottle vs the Leather Solutions 3-bottle kit. One kit will do a sectional at least three times, maybe four. Use the same product on the vinyl, but don't apply the protectant or softener, just the cleaner. Vinyl is a form of plastic, so you don't need to use anything exotic on it. Hidey's is a one bottle treatment, I used to carry it, but think the 3-stage is the best on the market.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

joe333x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I have used both (or all three you list). All leather kits are water based these days, from any maker. Leather Master makes a decent product, and like will cost less and be a 2-bottle vs the Leather Solutions 3-bottle kit. One kit will do a sectional at least three times, maybe four. Use the same product on the vinyl, but don't apply the protectant or softener, just the cleaner. Vinyl is a form of plastic, so you don't need to use anything exotic on it. Hidey's is a one bottle treatment, I used to carry it, but think the 3-stage is the best on the market.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. Seeing as you charge the same as leather solutions international for the kit I will buy it from you if I decide on their products. The one item I dont really understand in their kit is the softener, is it really something that makes a difference or is it some what of a placebo? On their site they dont seem to have a kit 1 or kit 2, just the standard kit. Also do you not recommended any type of product to keep the vinyl from drying out? Weve all see what can happen when vinyl dries out and cracks.

Yes, the softener is key! Probably the single most important product in the kit. You can actually clean a hide with soap and water, but you need that softener/conditioner to keep the leather supple. it will work on the vinyl as well.

I labeled them Kits 1, 2, 3 for clarity...
    Duane Collie

joe333x Guest

Yes, the softener is key! Probably the single most important product in the kit. You can actually clean a hide with soap and water, but you need that softener/conditioner to keep the leather supple. it will work on the vinyl as well.

I labeled them Kits 1, 2, 3 for clarity...
    I guess that does make sense when you think about it. I just figured that the leather master 2 step system does the cleaning in step one and conditioning and protecting in step 2 but it really only says that step 2 protects not conditions. Obviously the appeal of leather master is that its cheaper and available in large quantities. I figure I would need more than an 8oz bottle in order to do the whole section once never mind 3 or 4 times, is it really that concentrated? When you say it will work on vinyl, do you mean just the cleaner or also the softener and protectant? Should I email you before purchasing or just send the paypal right over?

I recently did (in my own home) (2) full-size sofas, (4) chairs, (1) recliner, (1) large ottoman and used 1/3 the product. Don't put it on too heavy. LeatherMaster will certainly work, I do Leather Solutions as that is the recommended product from Hancock and Moore. Paypal works, just be sure to include a ship to addy in the notes on the PayPal.
    Duane Collie

joe333x Guest

I recently did (in my own home) (2) full-size sofas, (4) chairs, (1) recliner, (1) large ottoman and used 1/3 the product. Don't put it on too heavy. LeatherMaster will certainly work, I do Leather Solutions as that is the recommended product from Hancock and Moore. Paypal works, just be sure to include a ship to addy in the notes on the PayPal.
    Wow thats great to know. When you said I can use it on the vinyl did you just mean the cleaner or the softener and protector also? Out of curiosity are you using the product solely because its what h&m recommend or because you think its the superior product? For example do you think it will make the leather last longer than leather master? Is leather solutions rather new to the market? Its so hard to find any reviews on their products other than from here. Not that there's a ton of furniture forums out there but there are many car forums where you see people talk about leather products. I'm just wondering how h&m decides to recommend leather solutions considering they have also recommend leather master and leather magic in the past if im not mistaken.
    Last edited by joe333x; 09-03-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Any leather treatment is better than no treatment. Buy what you are comfortable purchasing and realize that without lab tests results then its all speculation on what would be best anyways. Suggestions that there are kickbacks involved makes this the last comment I will make on this thread.
    Duane Collie

joe333x Guest

Any leather treatment is better than no treatment. Buy what you are comfortable purchasing and realize that without lab tests results then its all speculation on what would be best anyways. Suggestions that there are kickbacks involved makes this the last comment I will make on this thread.
    Sorry Duane I edited my post above and removed that from it. I did not realize it was against the rules. I just figured the furniture business is just like any other, sort of how a restaurant carries either coke or pepsi and never both for one reason or another, capitalism at its finest. I didnt know if maybe they decided to switch due to one product being better than another, and I guess with out lab tests or someone putting a few different products on one sofa in different places and observing it over time and seeing which performs better there is no way to really tell which is better. I was just wondering if h&m gave a reason for switching from leather master to leather magic and then leather solutions. I mean what about a customer that was told to use leather master in 2008 or leather magic in 2011 doesnt realize that now in 2015 h&m only backs leather solutions and their still using one of the other two products.

joe333x Guest

Incase anyone is was wondering I got in contact with leather solutions and was told that you can use the cleaner and protectant on the vinyl just not the softener.