Thread: Is Room and Board Bison Leather Worth the Price?

cfryerson Guest

Default Is Room and Board Bison Leather Worth the Price?

My wife and I are looking at the Room and Board Berin Leather Sofa in bison leather, teak color (http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/...-leather-sofas). At $3400, we are having some sticker shock. Is this unit worth the cost? Are there comparable styles available from other suppliers (we live in Colorado but are happy to order online). Why would/should we purchase the bison over Brighton material? The sales person told us the bison would be more durable, as we have a 7 year-old and a dog that climbs up on the catch when we are not home to throw him off.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Default Re: Is Room and Board Bison Leather Worth the Price?

Click the "Construction" tab at the top of your link for construction details. Not even close to 8-way hand tied coil springs.

Default Re: Is Room and Board Bison Leather Worth the Price?

Yikes! Look at that construction detail. I'd be embarrassed to sell that, of if I did, I sure wouldn't photograph it. Their website quotes in RED.

Suspension Webbing
    A webbing suspension is made by interweaving strips of nylon material to create a resilient platform. The elasticized webbing is securely attached to the wood frame with staples. Webbing suspensions are ideal for thin-profile styles that require maximum support in minimal space.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webbing-suspension.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	9125

This is the worst kind of suspension, aka "pirelli webbing". Remember that beach chair you bought from Wal Mart to use for a week on vacation? At the end of the week the seat was sagging noticeably? This is the # 1 cause of sofa failure and sagging in the seats. You do not want this in any of your upholstery. Period.

Frames
    Made to the same high standards as all of our furniture, each one of our upholstery frames is built to last.
    Kiln-dried, engineered hardwood

We use kiln-dried, engineered hardwood in all of our upholstery frames. Often used for structural beams, engineered hardwood is made by pressing thin layers of solid wood together. Kiln-drying removes moisture, minimizing seasonal expansion and contraction. This stable hardwood material resists warping and cracking for lasting durability.
    Reinforced joinery

We reinforce every joint in our frames for added stability. Precision-cut parts interlock like puzzle pieces and are reinforced with eco-friendly glues, screws or staples and corner blocks. Reinforced joinery ensures your seating holds together, even with years of frequent use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reinforced-joinery.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	9126

This is awful. Just plain awful. Plywood and staples, in a mis-fit jig pattern. What do staples do when they are holding to pieces of plywood together and you push on one of the ends of the wood? They pop out, don't they? Terrible. It will be in the landfill in short order. Good profit for Room and Board, though, I imagine they are paying less than $ 900 for it when its made like this.

No, I absolutely would not buy that sofa, not even at half their posted price. Take a look at Hancock and Moore's Two Week Quick Ship program if you are on a budget. Shown here in the forum. REAL construction, REAL suspension, and you will pay less that the Room And Board piece and still get a decent leather.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.