Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pottery Barn Dining Table - Quality-Made in the USA?

lwigley Guest

Found the article in case anyone's looking for it.

http://amelydesigns.com/PDF_Files/po...%20article.pdf

BTW, I have quite a few case goods from the Amish company Borkholder and have been very happy with their sturdyness and quality.

Well done! I'd been looking for that article on-line as I seem to have lost my copy I had in my store....thanks for locating it!

Had a customer come in and tell me they had purchased a Pottery Barn Coffee Table, and had owned it a few weeks when their 12-year-old son sat on it (like kids do sometimes) and it broke in half, dumping him on the floor. The table top was nothing more than thin wood veneer over cardboard. Yes, CARDBOARD! They took it back and complained loudly, and were refunded their money. Nice quality stuff, eh?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

habs88 Guest

Thanks. I definitely won't consider pottery barn anymore. Found out last week my son needs a ton of dental work. Dental insurance is the worst insurance out there so i will be getting whacked out of pocket. i have a very stable, good paying job. I wonder if good dental insurance even exists?

Looks like my furniture plans will have to wait until tax refund time unless that insurance estimate comes back favorable. Oh well.

In the meantime, Duane, i have looked at tresle table from JL Trehard TT21. We love ths style. We have 3 young kids. Does this quality of table handle the spills, and wear of 3 kids?

We are also looking to find a circular table that takes leaves, pedastle base. Any ideas or suggestions on this style? Do you carry this style?

Thanks
    -Dave

I think this information may be helpful (J.L. Treharn care instructions).

Quote Originally Posted by habs88 View Post
    i have looked at tresle table from JL Trehard TT21. We love ths style. We have 3 young kids. Does this quality of table handle the spills, and wear of 3 kids?

We are also looking to find a circular table that takes leaves, pedastle base. Any ideas or suggestions on this style? Do you carry this style?

Thanks
    -Dave
    Absolutely. My kids grew up on a Treharn tiger maple table, which we use every day and is now 23 years old. You will get some marks and wear (the tops of the ridges on the hand-planed surfaces on my table show wear) but the beauty of solid wood is that you can grab a Stanley Bull Nose Scraper and peel off 1/64" of the top to bare wood and apply a brand new finish if you like and it will be just like new. That table has a 6/4" top, (1.5" thick) so it can take about 300 years of resurfacing every 20 years!

Expanding circular tables are in the marketplace, but i don't have a maker for them. I would have to custom build that one...
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Fetchung Guest

Default Re: Pottery Barn Dining Table - Quality-Made in the USA?

Thanks for this thread. My wife and I were about to buy some pottery barn furniture after receiving their "friends and family" 20% off coupon. We actually reserved some pieces, but will cancel the order first thing tomorrow morning. I guess we will stick with only purchasing textiles (bed sheets and blankets) from them. Thanks again for this informative and eye opening thread!

janycer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by habs88 View Post

We are also looking to find a circular table that takes leaves, pedastle base. Any ideas or suggestions on this style?
    Thanks
    -Dave
    I have a round pedestal base table made by Cherrico that I purchased three years ago. It is made in the US (Salt Lake City) and appears to be very good construction. The grain on the leaves matches perfectly to the table, making them virtually invisible. Cherrico was willing to make the table to my dimensions, and to make design changes to the chairs I purchased.

I don't have a children at home, but my elderly brother-in-law lives here and is very rough on furniture. That man could break an anvil with a feather! He is 6'7" and 270 lbs and the table and chairs are holding up to him.

banyan49 Guest

I actually have the article about PB. But it is too big to attach it here. I can send it to whoever wants it.

Rafree1 Guest

I liked that table too but, was concerned about quality so I looked around and found a furniture maker who made my table and the bench out of solid oak stained to the hue I liked and with the joins exactly as I wanted them. He lives near me so I had zero shipping. The top of the table is far, far nicer than the PB one and so is the bench. He also made me three leaves that can extend the table and it's just gorgeous. Taking off shipping charges *and PB is the WORST for ridiculous charges for shipping here* I came out even and got a much better quality table and bench.

Sometimes, when you see a design you like but, the quality is lacking you can find someone to make you to order a much better piece. Next up I'm having a custom made media unit built by this guy...hand crafted, can't be beat!