Thread: Our Beautiful Hancock & Moore Furniture From The Keeping Room

puremichigan Guest

Default Our Beautiful Hancock & Moore Furniture From The Keeping Room

I posted individual photos of our new H&M furniture on the Leather Photos thread, but wanted to add an overall review of our experience.

We are so happy that we decided to purchase from Duane and The Keeping Room. His knowledge of his products and his eye for color and design were very helpful as we struggled with decisions about purchasing new furniture for our very small space. We needed pieces that were small in stature and big on comfort! Also, our basic motif is eclectic to say the least. It's sort of family boatbuilding, boating, and duck hunting history, along with oversize military grade binoculars which provide great view of the beautiful boats on Lake Michigan, but take up a lot of space. Anyway, we wanted to select pieces that would fit, be comfortable and help tie the room together.

We drove from Northern Michigan to The Keeping Room in late May--our review of that great experience is posted below. At that time we ordered our H&M Ghent recliners in Capri Mink (Class Four) and our Member Apartment Sofa in Cameo Carmel Burnished (Class Three) with a request for lightly burnished leather. We requested cuttings for approval which we knew would add to our wait time. The CFA samples came and they were beautiful, but we still needed a small chair.

After deciding on the H&M Kenneth chair (we really wanted the Tavern Chair, but it was just too big!), we opted to get a few more leather samples. We wanted a different leather for this piece, but something that would coordinate. Along with the few samples we requested, Duane included a sample of the Burl Elm Polished (Class Four) which we ultimately chose and proceeded to finalize our order.

We used the H&M Guaranteed Shipping and our furniture was delivered to a local moving company who promptly delivered it to our front deck. The charge for receiving four large boxes and delivering it was $165.00 which we thought was very reasonable. We uncrated and unpacked everything according to Duane's instructions on the Forum. It was not at all difficult and with just the two of us we were able to carry everything in through our glass slider door. For the sofa, we did end up removing one door panel to get the extra width. I do not think we could have moved a large sofa ourselves, since we are not as young as we used to be--let's just say that we've been Medicare eligible for a while now! We recycled all of the cardboard and burned the wood framing pieces in a beach bonfire that very evening!

Long story short, I highly recommend purchasing through Duane and The Keeping Room. His pricing is excellent and the service is outstanding. I definitely agree with the poster who gave him a 12 on the scale of one to ten. Duane promptly answered our questions and was very helpful with suggestions on covers and wood finishes. We bought three of the four pieces without ever seeing or sitting on them, and we only saw the Ghent recliner in passing. When we visited The Keeping Room we were convinced we didn't want any nailhead trim, but ended up with it on two of the four pieces and we really like it.

Here are some photos of the furniture. As you will see, we are still on the hunt for a table in front of the sofa--we have several unique pieces we could use, but none of them seem to be "just right". We have a beautiful antique rug with just the right colors, but aren't sure if we will use it or not. Have to wait to find that special piece--you know, the thrill of the hunt! I took photos with different angles and lighting, but the pictures don't really do justice to the furniture--it is so very nice!

Thanks again, Duane for helping us put it all together!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01253.jpg 
Views:	1138 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	7692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01252.jpg 
Views:	861 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	7691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01251.jpg 
Views:	868 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	7690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01250.jpg 
Views:	750 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	7689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01228.jpg 
Views:	826 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	7688
    Last edited by puremichigan; 09-29-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Default Re: Our Beautiful Hancock & Moore Furniture From The Keeping Room

Absolutely gorgeous furniture and a room I would love to relax in! I just read your complete post and was glad to see you mentioned the body of water your located on. We vacation in Georgian Bay Ontario (for more than 50 years) and there nothing quit like sitting in a comfortable chair and viewing the water for hours on end.
    Last edited by wisejd; 09-29-2015 at 03:53 PM.

The scale is perfect on all those pieces! Fits the room perfectly.

You need just one more thing in that room.... a handmade rug of your choice to finish it off. Not to cover the whole room, just a showpiece one about 6' x 9", etc...I know, I know, probably too traditional for your taste, but this one has the whole seafarer thing going, picking it up on a voyage to Persia, etc.

If that were my room, this is what I would put in there. Look at these great colors!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rug.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	7695
    Last edited by drcollie; 09-30-2015 at 06:00 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

puremichigan Guest

Oh, Duane, you are right--that rug is absolutely beautiful and the colors are perfect! Luckily for my budget, 6 x 9 is too large--we have that size in dining area on other end of that room. If you have a very similar one in 4 x 6, I could be in trouble! I do have a rug in front of the sofa now--a Victorian Persian that was my great-grandmother's with the same perfect colors as the one above--but it is only 3 x 4'3 (plus fringe) and thus, a bit small. I have no idea how they get the dyes to last so beautifully for well over 100 years, but the one I have is just as bright and beautiful as ever--despite some wear and tear!

A 4 x 6 rug (or an inch or two either way) is the right size for us so it will not impede traffic to the chairs, windows and binoculars, but enough size to add a perfect pop of color! I tried 5 x 7, but it is really in the way on the 7 foot side.

We are still really loving it all--and just trying to get everything else organized.

Thanks again!