Thread: Why I like the # 9840 City Sofa by Hancock and Moore

Default Why I like the # 9840 City Sofa by Hancock and Moore

Today I had to go out on the delivery truck, a rare event for me (my wife ran the store until I returned). I use Four guys in rotation for deliveries, and as luck would have it three of four could not make it - so I'm the backup guy. I've done my share of deliveries, but haven't been out on the truck in three years or so. We had to deliver a # 9840 City Sofa into an Apartment building with no elevator on the first stop, and just to get to the door of the complex was a 120 foot walk with the sofa....Whew! We opened up the door to look at the flights of stair and Tommy - my delivery guy - said "This isn't going to go up those stairs, its too tight, look at that low ceiling!" To which I replied, "This is a 9840 - we can get this up most anywhere"....

These customers had told me they had an impossible stairway that would defeat most - but I said when they bought it "City Sofa, we can make it go". Now here I was on the truck! Yikes! So we pulled out lots of furniture pads and door jamb guards and put them on the wrought iron stair rails on the floors we had to go up. There was no way we could carry it straight up, but we could flip and roll it over the railings on each floor, the key was to pad well, and go slow and not rush. And of course, when its that tight - and it was tight - we have to try to keep it off the walls to avoid marks to the leather, that was going to be challenging.

Tommy and I did exactly that, going very slow, very steady. We both have been doing this a long time so we know how to do it, and we managed to clear it clean up the stairs as we had everything so well-padded. We were breathing hard and sweating at the top. At age 61, I can't do too many of those. Like the Toby Keith song goes "I'm not as good as I once was - but I'm as good ONCE, as I ever was." That's me. Luckily the rest of the day was easy....

So if you have tight space to get a sofa into, this is your sofa....we can get this one into places we wouldn't even try with other models.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city2.jpg 
Views:	837 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	7722
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Why I like the # 9840 City Sofa by Hancock and Moore

Hmmmm....it just looks naked without the nails.

Default Re: Why I like the # 9840 City Sofa by Hancock and Moore

I'm a sucker for the nail too!