Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type of Leather on my Sofa

josh Guest

Default Type of Leather on my Sofa

Hello all! I am not sure if I am posting in the correct area, but here we go:

I have learned a ton over the past few months reading your posts on the Garden forums -- which I stumbled across randomly Google searching about leather sofa quality. I'm glad to see that you have branched off to an easier to read and follow forum style.

I recently purchased a Natuzzi leather sectional (yes I know, Natuzzi is not the best quality, but it is what we could afford). I happened to get a fantastic deal on it, and it looks great in our home. I'm hoping that with proper care, we can get 10-15 years out of her before it becomes a "basement sofa". Hopefully by then we will be able to afford a higher-quality leather sofa!

I am comfortable cleaning my sofa with a washcloth, but I was looking at some of the Leather Master products out there. What I can't find is that type of leather that my Natuzzi sofa is made of. My guess (based on price, reviews, etc.) is that I have Finished / Protected leather. Therefore, I should be fine purchasing the "Maxi Kit" from Leather Master.

Before I invest any money into cleaning products, I wanted to be sure I was purchasing the right stuff!

Thanks again for all that you do to help out the public with our furniture woes and questions!! I have truly learned so much just by reading your posts.

McCall Guest

Duane moved your post to the leather section and answered you there in case you don't see it.

josh Guest

Oops! Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by lonetcrystal View Post
    A leather sofa is the perfect way to enhance a room's decor and they are also easy to keep clean. Leather couches may be sophisticated and stylish, but they are also exceptionally difficult to clean. Always keep in mind the fact that certain types of leather are easier to clean than others and respond better to moisture. Coated leather or Bycast leather is far more durable than full aniline leather which absorbs moisture quickly and stains easily.
    ------------------
    Lonetcrystal
    I'll have to disagree with this, sorry. They're not particularly difficult to clean, in fact I can clean a leather sofa in about 10 to 12 minutes, and doing it twice a year that's not a huge investment in time.

Coated Leather (Finished or Pigmented are the industry terms) is more resistant to spills and grease staining, but no less durable. One just has to know the limits of what can be used in and around particular aniline hides and adjust your lifestyle accordingly (i.e, no heavily-buttered popcorn spread all over the hide, etc).

BiCast is not leather. In fact, only in the United States can it be labeled "Leather" every other country forbids it being called that. its a synthetic product that is made from leather scraps that are chemically melted into a slurry, then applied over a polypropylene sheet and then painted and embossed to look like leather (Hello Costco!). In the melting process, the natural grain bonds are destroyed (this is what gives leather its strength) and it typically is neither durable or long lasting. Looks good when new, but deteriorates rapidly with use.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dlsbusiness Guest

Default Re: Type of Leather on my Sofa

Hi, Duane! I really appreciate all the wonderful information on this site. I'm considering the Garden or Lennon sofa (and possibly a matching chair) for a multi-story townhome in Denver. I'm assuming from other posts that I can delete the nails? It will be the main piece of "sitting" furniture. No animals, but kids will be visiting quite a bit (7 and 13 years old), and I'm sure folks will eat on it watching television.

I was looking at the protected leather for that reason - some type of brown - Caress Brown (C2P), Antelope Chino or Almond (C3P), Lobo Saddle or Tobacco (C1P), or Savannah Stone (C2P). I love the Equestrian, Garfield, Nubuk, and Quintessence, but I'm assuming I just can't do it with kids/food, etc.

We are not close to any furniture stores here in Georgia (we move to Denver in a couple weeks). Should we wait to go into a store to see the leathers or can we just order online (and hope for the best)?

Any price ranges for what I mentioned above? Can you beat prices of other companies that offer "free shipping?"

Thanks!
    Donna

Hi Donna,

The Lennon has no nails on it, and the ones on the Garden can be left off if desired.

Caress, Antelope, Lobo and Savanah can handle all you throw at it, as well as Equestrian and Garfield. Nubuck - no way, and Quintessence is wonderful but it can't take oils and acid-based items on it.

Samples can be mailed to you if you like, that's easy enough to do.

I can't tell you if I can beat 'free shipping' prices because that really doesn't tell me anything.

I can tell you the prices for these items for the month of Feb, when H&M has their 5% off sale going on in non-Town&Country items however:

# 4111 Garden:

Class 1: $ 2,800
    Class 2: $ 3,245
    Class 3: $ 3,551

# 1233 Lennon Sofa:

Class 1: $ 2,540
    Class 2: $ 2,953
    Class 3: $ 3,245

Appx. $ 285 to home deliver a sofa to Colorado.
    Duane Collie

mybs Guest

I would highly recommend going to a store that carries Hancock and Moore to look/feel the leather swatches. While most colors on the website can be fairly close, some are WAY OFF (e.g. Antelope Chino which is significantly darker than the web image). If getting the EXACT color is important, you can order a "cutting for approval" where they'll reserve the leather you choose and send you a cutting from that very hide so that you can see if it matches what you had in mind.

dlsbusiness Guest

Thanks! I am going to need to feel some samples. Let me see if I can find a store in Atlanta - or is it just as easy to have you mail me some samples, Duane? Also, can you give me the same price breakdown for the Garden and Lennon chairs? Thanks!

We do mail out samples all the time. Typically 10 to 12 at a batch. Same as the dealer samples.

There are several models of Garden Chair.....which one?

Lennon # 1235:

class 1: $ 1,297
    class 2: $ 1,542
    class 3: $ 1,676

Above includes the 5% off for Feb 2010 ONLY. Shipping additional.
    Duane Collie

dlsbusiness Guest

Sorry about that, Duane. Garden Chair #4109. Re the dealer samples... can you ship them to arrive next week? (I'm moving the week after that.) Here are the samples I'd like: Caress Brown, Antelope Chino & Almond, Lobo Saddle & Tobacco, Savanah Stone, Equestrian Toffee, and Garfield Mocha & Sable. How do I get you my name/address without posting it on a forum?