Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taylor King PRICE INCREASE effective Nov 9, 2015

scone Guest

Default Re: Taylor King PRICE INCREASE effective Nov 9, 2015

^^ Thank you very much for taking your time to post this, it's very helpful!

I didn't realize persimmon was going to be a salmon color, but now that I think about it, that makes sense given the name. It's working very well in your scheme of corals and neutrals, thank you again!

Mulling it over, I'm considering the persimmon color for the bed, with off-white legs. By an odd coincidence, the tiles in the bathroom are a peachy beige, and instead of tearing them out when I bought the house, I painted the walls Ambrosia by Benjamin Moore, which is an extremely pale peach-pink. Even my husband likes it. The bedroom walls are a pale yellow-apricot that I cooked up myself, with gold-beige carpet, so the persimmon color should get along with that like a house on fire.

Also, having seen these shots, I'm going to ask Duane to send me a sample in the "brick" colorway-- as that may be the rust color I originally had in mind for the family room.
    Last edited by scone; 10-28-2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: more ideas...

fattasseri Guest

The Duke fabrics are in a herringbone pattern.
    Only up close can you see the Herringbone pattern.
    From a little distance, like more than 3 feet, it is hard to see the pattern.
    Plus because it is herringbone, there is a neutral color in addition to the dominant color, so the upholstered piece is not overwhelmingly vibrant.

Persimmon is not exactly salmon, it is more like peach / light orange.
    Either way, nothing beats having a look at a swatch / sample in hand, if you can ask Duane to send them to you.
    Also because the fabric is a blend of 52% linen / 48% cotton from Belgium, it certainly is valuable to get a feel for the fabric.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of the Duke Brick and Duke Persimmon as shown on the Taylor King website.
    Hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TK_Duke Brick_ 52% Linen_48% Cotton_.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	7758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TK_Duke Persimmon_ 52% Linen_48% Cotton_.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	7759  

scone Guest

^^ Thanks. Oddly enough, some of the Duke series fabrics appear on the H & M website, and there they look completely different, much less saturated in color.

scone Guest

Duane, are all the fabrics in the Portfolio series the same price, or are there different grades within that group? I'm wondering if the Duke series is likely more expensive than the Regolo?

Second, can I upgrade the sofa cushions to a Marshall unit and still be in the Portfolio pricing?

Third, any idea on lead times? (We should have cold, but not too snowy, weather here until about Thanksgiving.)

Finally, I'm interested in the bed from the "Bedside Manner" group, both headboard (Wallis) and rails. I can't find any info on whether that bed needs box springs? TIA.
    Last edited by scone; 10-29-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: excessive excitement...

Portfolio has three fabric price grades I, II, and III as well as three depths (Standard, Plush, Continental). Price is determined by the fabric grade and what depth you pick in the Design Your Own segment. Duke is a GR III Regolo is a GR I, so the Duke will be in the highest tier, the Regolo is in the lowest. Yes, you can add optional cushions (surcharge) and still stay in Portfolio. Taylor King is running about 6 to 8 weeks build time right now on in-stock covers, and then add in 2 to 3 weeks transit time when done.

On the Bedside Manner units, they are are built to accept box springs. If you want to use as a platform, then you would need to put a filler in there instead (like a box spring!). The side rails are 7 3/4" and a standard box spring is 8", so the box comes up just enough over the edge of the rail to prevent you from banging your fingers when putting a fitted sheet on the mattress. There are shallow box springs in the market that are 3" , 4" , 5" you can use to lower height, but they drop the matt edge below the rail and can make the sheets difficult to fit on bed.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

scone Guest

Thanks, Duane. I used to have a "slim" pair of box springs, but I didn't like it because it didn't raise the bed up to my preferred level-- just a bit lower than the night stand. I'll buy the standard sort this time. At any rate it's bound to be better than we have now-- the new mattress stacked on top of the old mattress, which is resting directly on the floor!

scone Guest

Hi Duane,

First, thanks for being very patient with all my questions. I know you must be incredibly busy. So just a couple of thoughts by way of a heads up, and apologies for the long, convoluted post.

I'm o.k. with the lead time and delivery, and I'm assuming the delivery guys you use have systems for handling deliveries up here in the Frozen Northland. But here's my worry: our house is a "tuck under" Cape Cod, with a steep basement stair that opens onto a narrow hall and faces a wall. Alternatively, you get to the front door up a slope with no paving stones, and then in through a door that's a bit more than 34" inside the stops.

If you google our address you can see the house, and what we are up against. (Please ignore the horrible interior, we have changed that a lot.) I can make sure the path to the front door is shoveled and sanded, but other than that I can't think of a way to make things easier for the delivery guys, and January is when the snow really starts to fly. Add ice and heavy lifting, and it's potentially dangerous. Again, they must have systems for dealing with all this, and I thought other readers might be interested, as am I.

Obviously the alternative to the front door is going up the basement stair, and that really starts to affect the order-- the basement door is only 29 1/2" inside the stops, by 6'6" high, with a 40" wide hallway before you hit the wall. The back door is a 5' slider with a 22" clear opening.

Now, if there is even a small doubt that the Portfolio sofa will fit, there are alternatives in the Taylor King line-- the 3015-03 Webber, which is spec'd at 33 1/2" tall including the pillows. And if that is too tall, then my fall back position is the Hancock and Moore Kent Chesterfield, at 29.75" high, or the 8372 Chesterfield, at 30". The 8372 is the sofa my husband loves best, BTW, and I like it too. It might be safer to bite the price bullet and go with that, taking no chances. It would certainly look great in the room!

So it's a bit tricky. The house was built by an engineer, can you tell?
    Last edited by scone; 10-30-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: I'm a worrywart.

The Design Your Own series of sofas from Taylor King are not particularly difficult to deliver, in fact they are the easier ones compared to some of the monsters we have (such as the dual power H&M Journey Reclining sofa we are delivering locally tomorrow). I would have to see a photo set of the delivery path to make an educated guess (and it would be a guess) if a particular piece can go into a home. No sofas are going through a 22" opening, that I can tell you for sure, and 29.5" is pretty tight. There really is no 'system', its just two guys on a truck, their brains and grunt power. And of course the physics of it all - if it won't fit, then it won't fit.

It's important to note that we don't accept returns on special orders if it won't go into your home. We have no way of knowing 'for sure' but can take a pretty good guess. Sometimes its better to buy from a local store and get something that is off the floor that can be returned if it won't go into the home. I know in your area, there are several nice furniture stores in the Providence RI area - been up the way hundreds of times. When you buy locally and it won't fit, you are just out the delivery charge if all goes bad and it can be returned to the store.
    Duane Collie

scone Guest

^^ Yes, I understood about the necessary lack of guarantee, that's why I'm being extra-cautious. Unfortunately Rhode Island is several hours away from my location, there's tax, and I would guess they don't want to guarantee the delivery either, given the distance and therefore costs. In any case, if I'm going to deal with an out of state vendor, I'd rather it were someone I have confidence in-- heck, I remember you from the old "veneer" thread on GardenWeb! LOL.

The only other decent alternative is a New Hampshire local H & M dealer, and they have nothing in the store that will work, I've checked. I could order from them, but my dealings with them so far have given me the impression they are "chair warmers," if you KWIM.

Having said that, the path from the driveway to the front door is a straight shot, and through that door is 34" and a bit. We did bring a 31" wide, 96" long, 43" tall camel back settee through the door, no problem.* So presumably the Chesterfield, which is smaller in height and length, by the laws of geometry, should work? And if that's so, then the only other issue I can think of is the willingness of the delivery guys to come up the slope?

FWIW, I hope I haven't given you the impression that I'm a "difficult" customer, I'm really not. But my years in contracting and design have made me the type of person who tries to think out the situation in detail so as to troubleshoot potential problems before they happen. That's my story, anyway-- DH says I'm a just an insufferable worrywart.

* This beastie: the Kindel Irish Georgian: https://www.kindelfurniture.com/product.php?id=25

Today is the last day to order at the 'old prices' on Taylor King. When the store re-opens Tuesday, new pricing will be in effect.
    Duane Collie